cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

GoToMeeting is a battery vampire on mac

Version 8.47.1 Build 14172 kills the battery in 2 hours on MacBook pro 13" 2019. 

No recording, just joining a meeting.

It runs the processor about 100% during the whol meeting.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 15.52.17.png

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Excessive CPU Usage & Battery Impact?

Important update on my side of the issue:

While the GoToMeeting application may be using excessive processing power and battery when unplugged from the wall, my problems were actually not real issues - but a new feature from Apple that cycles down the battery and then charges it up for "Battery Health Management".

The way this feature behaves (my original message) is just like my old Mac used to act when my battery was failing completely (perhaps Apple developed this feature to not overuse/kill their batteries).  After a recent Mac system update, it seems this feature was automatically enabled (so from the user perspective, my battery just started draining mysteriously - still only happens during GoToMeeting - maybe other high CPU programs if I used them too.).   If I turn off this feature in the Mac battery settings, the "problem" no longer occurs - just a little awkward to see a computer plugged in to the wall and draining down (only got to about 90% and then back up).

Ultimately my problem was a combination of user error and Apple related items, so I just wanted to come back and update my thread and give GoToMeeting a little credit 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: GoToMeeting is a battery vampire on mac

Hi orendi84, 

thanks for reaching out. 
I just checked back with my colleagues and we are already of this issues. 
We already did some optimizations earlier this year and there are some more already lined up to come out this year. I case you are sharing your webcam in 16:9 aspect ratio, using 4:3 ratio instead might improve things meanwhile. 

Kind regards, 
Thomas

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Thomas, 

thank you for the quick response!

I was a standard Macbook Pro 13 screensize, I have just cut the not needed parts from the screenshot.

It is good to hear that the team is wokring on the issue, I hope that there will be a fiz with the MacOS Catalina. With the current performance GoToMeeting kills the portability of the macbooks. 

Cheers, 

Gary

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello I have exactly the same issue . 1h30 min to kill my battery . Hope you will find the issue asap, this is too painful and not usable
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi, 

After almost a year the situation is still the same.

The Macbook Pro 13 lasts less than 2 hours with GoToMeeting with 4:3 video size.

I got 5 hours of video time on my iPad Pro 2018 12.9" with the GoToMeeting app.

Are there any plan to fix the issue on the intel Mac or do we have to wait for the Apple SOC Macs and forget about the non iPad application?

Thanks and have a great day!

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 15.55.55.png

Active Contributor

Excessive CPU Usage & Battery Impact?

Hello Everyone,

I have actively utilized GoToMeeting for several years as I operate a business where I meet virtually with clients, overall very happy with the product until a concerning problem started approximately one week ago.

During a virtual session with a client, while having the power plugged into the wall and reading 100% charged - it suddenly started to drain (the meeting ending soon after so I don't remember if it charged back up again - as it will regularly do now).  I immediately blamed the Apple charger or battery, thinking the powerblock was defective (so I bought a brand new one and power cord).  Here are my computer specs for reference (copied from the "About My Mac" section):

• 2017 15 Inch MacBook Pro (Catalina version 10.15.6)
  • Processor: 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB
  • Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4GB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536MB
  • Storage (570 GB available of 1 TB)

Long story short (pictures included), the pattern seems to be that GoToMeeting will startup with regular CPU and Battery impact (me just sitting alone on video waiting for others doesn't seem to trigger it) but once someone joins it will really use a lot of CPU% and Battery (Energy Impact on Mac).  So much, that it will regularly drain the plugged in fully charged battery down to about 90% and then the battery will charge back up to 100% and hold steady for the remainder of the meeting.  Almost like an initial "CPU/Power Surge" the computer struggles to handle but then regulates successfully (although still incredibly high load the entire time).

Also if it helps, the other day it only happened the first time I met with someone and then not a few hours later in the day (haven't proven the once a day/initial occurrence part though).  Hosted family on a video call today and nothing happened at all (last time I used it prior would have been Friday).

Unfortunately this site requests that I downsize all my images to less than 333 KB, when doing this I don’t think you will see all the detail needed.  Here is an open link to a Google Drive folder where I hosted the images at their full resolution with titles to help understand what to look for in each.

Thanks everyone for any assistance you can provide, I'm definitely not a computer expert but I hope I've properly explained the situation and the attached pictures help.  Based on a repeated pattern that involves no battery problems outside of GoToMeeting usage, and the clear evidence that this is using a ton of resources I am confident that this is the right place to start.

Hoping to solve this problem and continue to use GoToMeeting if possible.

Chad

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the background information.

Were you also using GoToMeeting's ChromaCam integration for generating virtual webcam background images?

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Thanks for the question and assistance, no I don't believe I'm using the ChromaCam feature you mentioned (never heard of it previously - and I just select the webcam built into my laptop).

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Thanks for the question and assistance, no I don't believe I'm using the ChromaCam feature you mentioned (never heard of it previously - and I just select the webcam built into my laptop).
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Replying to this post, as it sounds familiar to the issue I am currently having (Excessive CPU usage and battery drain).

Concerned that neither this individual (who originally brought it up nearly one year ago), nor myself are finding solutions to this problem, really trusted GoToMeeting for several years now to help operate my business but may need to look for another provider if I can't find a resolution soon (I can not have this impacting the quality of service I guarantee for my clients).