cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heidi_Janssen
Active Contributor

Why does video and screen share show to attendees before you've started the broadcast?

I find it strange that video and screen share show to the live audience before you start the broadcast. It'd be nice if this was hidden prior to starting it so that you could practice without an audience. I know they can't hear sound, but that's only one component.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Why does video and screen share show to attendees before you've started the broadcast?

Sorry for any confusion there.  While in 'Practice Mode' your desktop sharing, webcams and audio feeds will not be visible to attendees  until you actually confirm the 'Start Broadcast' button. 

** This not only appears at the top of the GoToWebinar control panel, referencing the already live audio feeds for Staff, but also when you begin screen sharing:  The pop-out warning asks if you want to 'Start Broadcast' or just screen share.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jmsjmsjms
Active Contributor

Re: Why does video and screen share show to attendees before you've started the broadcast?

Agreed! Wish the GoTo team would get on this, such a bizarre setting that makes it hard for teams to properly get set up before the session.
mediateca
Active Contributor

Hi,

We are using the "Practice" mode to get ready before letting atendees in, and we are doing so under the belief that this means atendees can´t see or hear *anything* untill we change from "preactice" to live.

Are we doing it right? Or are we all using Practice mode and our atendees have been "enjoying" all of our mishaps all this time Smiley Surprised??

jmsjmsjms
Active Contributor

What do you mean by practice mode? If you are in a session and haven't hit broadcast yet but have a webcam or shared screen going, anyone in the room can see. 

davidmorneau
New Contributor

I would also like an answer to this. We have been running meetings with the belief that no attendees can see the presenter's screen before the broadcast starts. I was alerted to this issue and did a test today (joing a meeting as an attendee on a separate computer using a different email). I could see the presenter's slides as they navigated their powerpoint.

It's important that our online webinars and meetings maintain the polish we've always achieved in our live events. This is real issue. The documentation suggests that everything is private before the braodcast begins, which it clearly is not. Please adress.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Sorry for any confusion there.  While in 'Practice Mode' your desktop sharing, webcams and audio feeds will not be visible to attendees  until you actually confirm the 'Start Broadcast' button. 

** This not only appears at the top of the GoToWebinar control panel, referencing the already live audio feeds for Staff, but also when you begin screen sharing:  The pop-out warning asks if you want to 'Start Broadcast' or just screen share.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
jmsjmsjms
Active Contributor

The issue isn't that people are running a full practice session beforehand. The issue is that most people log in 15-30 minutes before a session to double-check that everything is set up and generally prepare for the session. This means checking webcams, adjusting lighting, running through audio issues, making sure the PowerPoint is set up and ready. There's no reason why an attendee should be able to see this "behind the scenes" moment. It makes much more sense for anything BEFORE hitting broadcast to not be visible to attendees.

davidmorneau
New Contributor

Yes! This is exactly it. We need to be able to setup before opening the room, just as we would in any in-person event .
mediateca
Active Contributor

FWIW, this is what I mean by "Practice Mode":

https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/practice-a-webinar-g2w020009

According to this, it basically keeps the room closed to anyone except "colaborators"  and only when you leave the Practice mode atendees can enter the room and you are already set- up at that point...

The downside, AFAIK, is that turning speakes into colaborators gives them too much power and they can, for instance, accidetally close yor webinar in the middle of the session.... been there 😞 ...

That is another issue I intend to raise at some point....

HTH.

Rod.

micheles
New Contributor

Judging by the silence on this post, nothing has been resolved?  I'm running into the same issue and this was not the case before.  This seems to be a more recent issue (in the past year).