cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikequigley1961
New Contributor

How to COMPLETELY erase LP before returning phone

Hello all, I have a Pixel XL that is being returned to Google (warranty issue). I want to make sure that I remove all data before I return it.

Are there recommended steps to take to ensure that the phone is completely cleared of all LP data before I return it.
4 REPLIES 4
jpenny84
Respected Contributor

Re: How to COMPLETELY erase LP before returning phone

Can't you just factory reset the phone?
mikequigley1961
New Contributor

Hi Jpenny84, thanks for your response.

I think that your input might well be the correct answer 99.99% of the time, and I certainly will be Resetting the phone. As well as this, my Pixel is encrypted, also any LastPass details will be encrypted also. So perhaps I'm being paranoid. But that is good where security is concerned (I think).

I read an article today about data being recovered from phones that had previously been reset ( https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ho ... or-tablet/ ) This certainly got me thinking about this.

Key text from the article
When you do a factory reset on your Android smartphone, it’s supposed to wipe it clean, but it doesn’t. It deletes the addresses of all of your data, so it no longer knows where it’s stored, but it doesn’t actually overwrite the data. That being the case, it’s possible for someone to employ off-the-shelf recovery software and get some of that data back. Let’s look at how to wipe your Android smartphone properly.

Here's my plan
1. open the App Info view within settings, navigate to LP, Clear Data. (If the above is true, the LP data is now address-less but still on the phone)
2. Using an App like Shreddit, overwrite the freespace on the phone. (this will clear the address-less data)
3. Reset the phone

So, paranoid perhaps, but I care a great deal about making sure no one gets hold of my data. That's why I subscribed to LP.
I do appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts
Regards
Mike Q
mikequigley1961
New Contributor

Final note on this to close this out.

None of the Apps to clear the free-space on my phone would complete the task. I assume that the system was preventing this.
I cleared the data and the cache from my most sensitive Apps, including LastPass
I reset the phone

If possible, I'd like LastPass to add a Support article to advise on making sure all data is removed when returning or selling a device.
Case closed
MikeQ
johnmarzy1492
New Contributor

Would running ccleaner overwrite free space. Does resetting the phone more than once have any security benefits?