cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Windows 7: VPN Domain's Tap Device is down

We were using Hamachi to play a modded Minecraft game together as if we were on a LAN.  However, we are getting problems now after months of no problems at all.  We ran diagnose and...

My results:

Tunnel: OK

Local results:
	Adapter configuration: OK
	Traffic test: OK
Peer results: 
	Adapter configuration: 
			Cannot get adapter config
	Traffic test: Cannot complete test

And their results:

Tunnel:
VPN domain's tap device is down

Local results:
Adapter configuration: 
Cannot get adapter config
Traffic test: Cannot complete test
Peer results: 
Adapter configuration: OK
Traffic test: OK

It's been working for a while, just suddenly this happened thsi morning.  We are both running Windows 7 professional.  She has turned hamachi's connection on and off, exited the program and restarted, restarted her laptop entirely, uninstalled and reinstalled hamachi, made sure everything including windows is up to date and reinstalled, a complete uninstall of hamachi and tap service and a complete reinstall as well, et cetera.  We're really not sure why this is suddenly happening right now, and can't think of any changes that were made.  

Can someone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Active Contributor

Re: Windows 7: VPN Domain's Tap Device is down

We managed to solve it, though I'm not sure HOW this worked.  Here's how she explained the step that solved it:

10:22 AM - Her: i fixed it
10:22 AM - Her: i was uninstalling the driver after uninstalling hamachi
10:22 AM - Me: awesome. what was the step that fixed it?
10:22 AM - Her: by uninstalling it while hamachi was running then reinstalling hamachi it fixed it

10:23 AM - Her: ie do stuff retardedly backwards

... man, networking is weird.  Posting this in case it helps someone else...

9 REPLIES
Active Contributor

In the time it took me to type this, they tried a few older versions of Hamachi based off of other threads in this forum. No change.
Active Contributor

We managed to solve it, though I'm not sure HOW this worked.  Here's how she explained the step that solved it:

10:22 AM - Her: i fixed it
10:22 AM - Her: i was uninstalling the driver after uninstalling hamachi
10:22 AM - Me: awesome. what was the step that fixed it?
10:22 AM - Her: by uninstalling it while hamachi was running then reinstalling hamachi it fixed it

10:23 AM - Her: ie do stuff retardedly backwards

... man, networking is weird.  Posting this in case it helps someone else...

New Contributor

I recently had the same error message "VPN domain's tap device is down" following a Windows 10 update, after using Hamachi for years. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Hamachi, problem persisted. Googled lots of Windows stuff, got very confused.

Read your post.

I found two versions of Logmein virtual ethernet adapter drivers in Device Manager, removed them both (with Hamachi still trying to run), then uninstalled Hamachi, then reinstalled, and problem went away. No idea why....

Many thanks.

New Contributor

martSmiley Frustrated

New Contributor

Can you explain how to solve it in a more specific way? Which drivers I must uninstall

New Contributor

I'm no geek, but you could try typing Device Manager in your Windows searchbar, then expand Network Adapters, and delete any instances of  LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Internet Adapter. Then uninstall Hamachi and reinstall it. 

Depending on your version of Windows, Device Manager usually lives in Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> System Tools or thereabouts.

Something like this worked for me, perhaps more by good luck than good management.

Active Contributor

I don't know about windows 7 because I now have windows 10 & I was experiancing this exact same problem for the last few days having installed it recently. When installing & it loaded up. It shows I'm connected to my host server which is running fine on windows 10. But when I reboot my system or turn off for the night & turn it on next day. I get the yellow triangle with this exact same error.

I stop & restart the hamachi service which fixes it while I'm on the computer. But as soon as I need to reboot or turn off. When I come back to it it's back every time.

Now. I've found a fix for myself which might be a fix for windows 7 also. On windows 10, I went into windows firewall settings. Allow app through firewall or just search allow an app through windows firewall. Then click on Change settings to enable to options below. If Hamachi isn't in the list which mine wasnt. Click on Allow another app. Go into hamachi install folder. First add the hamachi-2-ui.exe in the x64 folder & then in the first folder. Select both Public & private box's for both & click apply. 

I've rebooted several times & no VPN errors!

Hope this helps

New Contributor

got same issue on my Win PC, VPN Tap device is down.

My solution is reboot the PC, and it is OK again.

New Contributor

THANKYOU, I spent far too long trying to fix this issue. Your solution worked. Thanks!