cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doctors3
New Contributor

Can a scanner be used with LogMeIn Pro?

I work from home a lot - just upgraded to QuickBooks Pro 2013, and now have the ability to attach pdf files to each QuickBooks transactions, ie bills, stmts, rcpts, etc.  This would allow me to go paperless - stop spending so much time on a paper filing system.  Scanner works fine on site, but after installing it at home, LogMeIn doesn't seem to recognize it as an option for scanning.  Does anyone out there use a scanner remotely?  Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6
KevinW
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Can a scanner be used with LogMeIn Pro?

Hello Doctors3,

Unfortunately, at this time, the LogMeIn software doesn't have any capability to share scanners or other hardware between computers via the connection. We do have a couple features, such as Remote Printing and Remote Sound, that mimic this behavior, but it's not a true remote connection between a device and a computer.

However, recently posted on our Labs & Betas page at https://secure.logmein.com/labs is a new software we're testing out: LogMeIn Remote USB. The software does exactly what it says on the tin: connects USB devices to computers remotely.

Please note that this program is in a VERY early Beta stage, and tests have shown it to possibly even cause BSOD's in some rare cases. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! LogMeIn provides no warranty, support or assistance when using this software at this time.

Additionally, this software requires a direct TCP connection to function. You can, however, use it with Hamachi, or if you have the knowhow, set up some basic port forwarding and establish the connection that way.

Assuming you have a USB scanner, this software could theoretically be used to connect that remotely to another computer across the internet to remotely scan your documents.

I hope this answers your question, and if you decide to try out the Remote USB software, please be sure to provide us your feedback to the email address on the download page.

Regards,

Kevin Watson
Technical Account Manager
kathyderm
New Contributor

I also work from home a lot via LogMeIn Pro.  I feel a remote scanning feature should be added!  It's the wave of the future, especially now since so many physicians offices are converting to electronic medical records for the first time, and don't have the time to spare in the office to get the charts in to the system!  It's hard enough now with paper charts!  I have no intention to try any "outside software" - too risky........ Please consider adding this feature!  I assure you it will increase your sales! 

Tim_the_IT_Guy
New Contributor

So, where does this issue stand now?
I know this is an old post, but this is where Google led me. I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 attached to a local computer, but I need the scans to be sent to the remote computer.
The scanned image (which contains Protected Health Information) must never be saved to the local computer (it is  personal device with an unencrypted HDD).

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry this compatibility has not yet been developed for LogMeIn connections. 

Monroepedo
New Contributor

It would definitely be a helpful addition.
eolawther
New Contributor

I also have this question - right now I have to scan to my client laptop and then export to the host computer in order to upload a scanned document. Not sure why the connected printer does not have the ability to scan directly to the host

Tags (2)