cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Caps Lock Problem

Just come across this but it is possible that it has been happening for a while. Ok so I don't often log in to a remote computer with my keyboard Caps Lock on (i.e. lit up on my keyboard and producing capitals on my local machine). However I have just discovered that if I do log in with the caps lock on, the remote machine behaves as if the caps lock is off (i.e. produces lower case letters). If I then turn off Caps Lock on my local keyboard it is turned on on the remote machine.

Not a problem as such except that if I do log in with the Caps Lock on my local keyboard turned on and during the session I need to type text on both local and remote machines, the keyboard setting for upper and lower case will be received diffently on each machine. In other words, if I were to leave the Caps Lock on, anything typed on my local PC would be in Upper Case while anything typed on the remote PC would be in lower case.

Obviously this is of no consequence when logging in to the remote machine with Caps Lock turned off. In that scenario there is no discrepancy between the keyboard input on the local or remote machines. I have determined though that if the Caps Lock is already turned on on the remote device it is automatically turned off when the remote login is established. My question therefore is this. Is it a feature of LMI that, irrespective of the Caps Lock setting on the local device, it always defaults to Caps Lock off on the remote device? Also if the remote device already has caps lock on, is it by design that this is turned off at login?

11 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Caps Lock Problem

I have the same problem come up periodically, but it doesn't seem to be related to the caps lock on my local keyboard. If I had caps lock on on that keyboard, logmein wouldn't recognize my password, so it would be impossible to log in that way. Yet suddenly in the middle of a session my keyboard behavior starts acting exactly like what you describe. Is there some way of remotely activating a caps lock function on the remote computer that we might be doing by accident?

New Contributor

I have experienced the exact same problem.  It seems to recently started  in the past month or so (now it is 1/29/19)  I use quickbooks remotely and it really has become a PITA.  The remote keyboard is set with cap lock off.  Have not found a way around it yet, but did try another type of remote log in and it works just fine so the problem lies with LogMein.    I really thought that GoToMYPC was a far superior product but did not want to pay more money for it from the same company that makes LogMein.  Smiley Sad

LogMeIn Contributor

@jzorn  I am sorry for all the frustration.

Does this only happey within Quickbooks?

Could you specify what operating systems are in use on both ends?

Have you tried using the OnScreenKeyboard while in session to see if CAPS is locked?

New Contributor

Ash it would do it with any application I am using remotely.  I tried it in others.  Only when using LogMein, not any other remote desktop program.  Not a novice at this so pretty stymied on it.  Been using remote for almost 20 years primaritly GoToMyPC.  (which albeit was a faster program and connected and worked better even  if internet was not overly good when traveling)  There are some nice features in LogMeIn such as controlling the printer one wants to use, with GTMPC one only could use the GTMPC printer which would send the print job to the last printer used.  No choice like one has with LogMeIn.

LogMeIn Contributor

@jzorn Since the problem began, have you been able to physically visit the remote PC to troubleshoot? 

Coudl you specify what operating systems are in use on both ends?

New Contributor

Windows 7 on remote and Windows 10 on the other machines

LogMeIn Contributor

@jzorn   What happens on the affected Windows host when you pull up the On Screen Keyboard there, and manually confirm the Caps Lock is disengaged?

New Contributor

where do I pull up the onscreeen keyboard.  The options are set to Logmein legacy keyboard

LogMeIn Contributor

@jzorn  There are several ways you can enable the OSK:  https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/6-ways-to-turn-on-on-screen-keyboard-in-windows-10.html

Once on screen, look for the CAPS button, and make sure it is not engaged.  Toggle it to troubleshoot when actively using another application there.