cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Excel file corrupted by Logmein???

I use Logmein Pro to work on my work-PC from home. I have been opening Excel spreadsheets on the work-PC, updating them, and re-saving them on my work-PC, all via remote control on logmein.

I shoould add that the spreadsheets are located on our server at work, not on my work-PC itself.

When I reopen the same spreadsheet, again via logmein, I get a message that the spreadsheet has an error in it, and needs recovering, which, in most cases, requires the deletion of an entry in the spreadsheet before it reopens. On 2 spreadsheets the file has been corrupted and I cannot re-open it.

I have tried copying the file onto my home PC, and re-opening there with Excel without using logmein, but Excel says the file is corrupted. I have just lost everything I have done over this weekend on those 2 spreadsheets. The versions of Excel are identical between my work-PC and my home-PC.

I can only assume that when the file is saved on the work-PC, the save is not being done correctly. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Excel file corrupted by Logmein???

Yes I have a solution to your problem.  I know this is a post from a few months ago but my experience is recent.

It seems Excel doesnt like the logmein print driver.  The error goes like this...

So you are creating a new excel file it uses the logmein print driver for the sheet.  Make some changes in the new sheet then save it.  Opening back up the excel sheet will complain about being corrupt and will be repaired only to have the changes you just made removed.  Excel will complain about something it doesnt like in an XML file for each tab.  But like I say your changes will be removed and the file recovered.

The solution to this is when your in excel through LOGMEIN change your default printer to something other than LOGMEIN.  The "Microsoft XPS document writer" for example.  So then things will create fine with the excel sheet and when you save it and reopen it wont give an error.

When you go to print change the driver to print.

The error is due to the logmein printer driver not being understood and attaching to the excel file.  Any other machine opening this excel file created with the logmein driver will also get the excel error on the file.

I have opened a support case with Microsoft about the problem.  MS Support case 111120968762674 was created about this issue.

Fix the problem LOGMEIN   

New Contributor

repair Excel files Microsoft is able to find out, scan and recover excel files all formats. It restores fonts, columns, rows, formulas, worksheets and etc. excel data. Utility has the compatibility with Win 98 and higher. Try its facilities download demo

New Contributor

Wow. Thanks for posting this! I have a user at work that is having the Excel file corruption problem with LMI Pro. I've forwarded this link to her and hopefully it will resolve her problem. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

New Contributor

Hi,

I'm also facing this file corruption problem. If the problem relates to a logmein printer driver that cannot be handled by Excel, I wonder wheter there is anything that LogMeIn can do to fix their printerdriver? Is there a workaround where the printerdriver is left unchanged by LogMeIn upon login?

Kind regards,

Poniente

New Contributor

I am having the exact same issues and it is becoming very frustrating!

New Contributor

has anyone found an answer to this. it is very annoying and disruptive

@karenpillans wrote:

I am having the exact same issues and it is becoming very frustrating!

LogMeIn Contributor

@Anon114868  Sorry, I don't think we fully examined this problem when it was reported years ago.  Does this behavior demonstrate itself with all files, or just some?  Are you seeing any other connection/ transfer issues around this time?