cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Help! Black Screen

When I connect to the remote computer, all I get is a black screen. I checked the "blank screen" option and it is not on. This occurs both ways - trying to access my work computer from home and vice versa. I can connect with no problem, but the screen is totally black. Both computers are iMacs. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Help! Black Screen

I too have had this problem for years, and these posts have been very helpful.

I found that there were two things that I must do to correct the issue, first, use the Blank Screen button as suggested turning it on, then off.

I noticed that had no effect, so I then tried changing the color quality, and suddenly it worked!

This is interesting to note, because in the past I have used the technique of changing the color quality to force the screen to display, and in these cases of the completely blank screen it was not enough.

It seems it is the combination of the blanking, then color quality change, that did the trick.

Time will tell if this is a consistent solution.

14 REPLIES 14
New Contributor

Hi I have the same issue, I remotely access my mac without issues, howver when I get into the office its a total black screen. I then have to login to logme in on my phone and go to options turn ON black screen then off again, then the screen appears on my mac.

I then have to shut down my mac and restart it to get usage of my mac withou log me in being on on my phone. Its silly can someone please fix this!

New Contributor

This problem has been going on for years, documented on this board a bunch of times. They still haven't fixed it and have barely acknowledged it.

I have this problem right now on my Macs, have tried the lame workarounds on here (i say lame, but they have worked for some) and nothing works. It's very frustrating, time to seek out an alternative.

New Contributor

Here is what I have found for the Mac:

The black screen problem seems to be associated with accessing the host computer via the mobile app. (we use iOS apps.)

After being accessed by an iOS device via the mobile app, then logging in from a desktop system, either via the website or the client seems to result in the black screen.  I have usually been able to select the "blank screen" option, then DESELECT the blank screen option to regain the display.  Few times have I had to have the host system restarted to get the display.

New Contributor

I've just contacted support over this problem. I've had it for years, it's never really worked. Initially I was told to contact Apple to see if they'd remove the LMI video driver without affecting the rest of the software. On pointing out quite what a ludicrous suggestion that was, they came back with a very vague set of steps to turn off the video driver. I cannot find this anywhere, I think it may be Windows specific info. 

The best solution I have found to this is to reboot the whole machine, which is far from a perfect solution. I used to just restart the LMI client, but recent versions just turn off the client never to be switched back on without physical intervention.

Active Contributor

I am having this issue connecting from a Win machine to a Mac. 

New Contributor

It's the Mac side that is the problem. I'm guessing it's the video driver. I've since found that blanking the screen then un-blanking the screen works for me most of the time. It can be done from all client versions of LMI.

New Contributor

I too have had this problem for years, and these posts have been very helpful.

I found that there were two things that I must do to correct the issue, first, use the Blank Screen button as suggested turning it on, then off.

I noticed that had no effect, so I then tried changing the color quality, and suddenly it worked!

This is interesting to note, because in the past I have used the technique of changing the color quality to force the screen to display, and in these cases of the completely blank screen it was not enough.

It seems it is the combination of the blanking, then color quality change, that did the trick.

Time will tell if this is a consistent solution.

New Contributor

Just wanted to say thank you for this solution! I was very frustratingly going through many forums for over an hour to fix this dumb problem - not even logmein has it in their guide when you do a "black screen" search - it's all the same suggestions. You would think they would be savvy enough about their software to be able to tell that the color settings can show a black screen from the remote computer. Changed the color settings on the host control tab - and BOOM! I'm in there and can see the screen - thanks!

New Contributor

None of these solutions work.  Have tried them all.  Have called my local IT company that makes a living helping us with issues to keep our small biz running.  No one can help.  Time to make technology LESS COMPLICATED.  Wasted too much time trying to fix this.  Anyone know why LMI hasn't gotton on board (4 years ago ) to resolve this so we can get to the next LMI issue?