cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verricom
Active Contributor

Command prompt closes immediately on connecting

I have various client machines which for no obvious reason refuse to let me open working command prompts, when I do so all that happens is a black window opens with a 110x41 sign in the middle that then clears to show nothing more than "Connection closed." at the top left.

Nothing seems to resolve this, I have removed and reloaded the software at both ends of the connection with no change to the problem.

It is really inconvenient to have to remotely take control of a machine rather than be able to run a background cleanup script or to stop/start services without disrupting a client.

Anyone have any bright ideas or know of any reason that this might be happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jimz18
Active Contributor

Re: Command prompt closes immediately on connecting

Pressing F5 to refresh screen (Connection closed.) fixed for me.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@Verricom  Are there any commonalities between the affected hosts such as User Permissions, Operating System version, or security set up? 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Verricom
Active Contributor

All the affected machines are Windows 10 (20H2 or 21H1) and the logged in users have local admin permissions. One machine has no antivirus at all because it is used on a dedicated "clean" network, two use AVG, four have Norton Lifelock and the rest are running Sophos Central Advanced Intercept-X.

They all used to work fine but now the all show the connection closed message when trying to get either a command prompt from LogMeIn Ignition on a PC or from powershell when using the iOS app.

Cannot see anything useful in the event logs either... very frustrating.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@Verricom  Can you check the LMI version installed, and if it hasn't been updated recently try using this new build download to see if it helps: https://www.logmeinusercontent.com/links/0ddcef75e609f4f0183b61081a957fd89 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Verricom
Active Contributor

I have downloaded and tried that build on about a dozen machines and still the exact same problem occurs, the session appears to start to open but immediately fails to connection closed. See image attached to this post.

Any further ideas ?Failed command prompt.jpg

StuH29
Active Contributor

This was happening to me also. Computer was on a different subnet. After remoting in to the machine and turning off the firewall to test, this seems to have been the culprit. The command prompt connected correctly. Turning the firewall back on again reverted back to the original issue.

gmo_navarro

we have  remote environment of hundreds of computers on different subnets, tied the solution and it has nor worked, i tried on 3 different computer with 3 different settings on them and different os versions, same issue, just tried on another computer and same issue, any specific or direction on troubleshooting this?
have uninstalled. reinstalled, flushed dns on current laptop,  updated windows, lan/wifi driver, installed most recent client, no firewall, antivirus disabled connection still closed
computer 2 is on the same network and subnet as test subject still same issue,  no firewall os version windows 10 pro build 1673
computer 3 different network connected via vpn old version of logmein, and pre 21h or 20h windows no firewall

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

get connection closed

AGJL
New Contributor

I have this issue as well.  Nothing changed recently except for Windows Updates.  All OS are Windows 10 20H2 or 21H1, Security with Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools (no configuration changes in it, as I administer it).  I know it worked in July.  Noticed it at least started happening last week.  Turning Firewall on or off make no difference.

AGJL
New Contributor

UPDATE: Troubleshooting this morning I discovered that I am able to remotely connect to some machines and not others. I can connect to some but not others on the same subnet, some but not others on different subnets behind different physical firewalls. I can reboot a machine that I cannot connect to, try again and still cannot connect. Still troubleshooting...will post updates.
Verricom
Active Contributor

I can see others chiming in with identical problems, any other ideas you have would be much appreciated. I have tried removing and reloading the host programs, cleaning the registry on affected machines of all traces of LMI in addition to uninstalling, checking firewall entries and so forth. My guess is that the logs I posted a week or two ago hold the clues but as the source and developers are not readily accessible that is as far as I have been able to further test and analyse.