cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CptK
Active Contributor

MacBookPro Retina Display Black

Since I've not gotten a response from "support" in over two weeks.... I'll try here.

Pro Accounts for over 4 years.

We recently upgraded two office MacBookPro's to the new MBPr and found that under the same exact circumstances we can not view the screen while controling them remotley. 

MBPr has external display connected (tried both apple display port to DVI and stright up HDMI) to a DELL monitor, nothing fancy. External keyboard connected and wireless mouse. 

When attempting a session with web/mac desktop client/iOS App we get the same results. If the monitor is on we can see during the session. If the monitor is sleeping or powered off we see black screen but can still use mouse or keyboard through remote session. 

Same setup with 2010 MacBookPro's are able to remote in just fine.

Years ago I had a tower setup to remote into and myself and the IT dept scratched our heads as to why we couldn't start Adobe products like Photoshop or Apple's Final Cut Pro. No error message or nothing. After much thought it turned out that these programes required an external display be connected to draw to or they wouldn't even start. I'm wondering if the new MBPr have similar requirements to "draw" for VPN's to be able to dial in when no display is on? I'm no programer though. Just a guy needing help with a product that should preform.

Thanks anyone who took time to read/respond. If there are enough of us they might fix it. 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
CptK
Active Contributor

quick follow up... we're able to actually access the files of the mentioned MBPr's with the black screens. 

Also, power settings and to never sleep and allow wake via LAN however we're running wifi. Again same setup as before on older MBP's.

Other
New Contributor

Having the same issue with 3 iMacs. You'll see the screen as long as your screens are not set to go dark. Mine never sleep, but I put the display to sleep. Ever since upgrading to 10.9.2 if the displays are asleep, you can't wake them up when you remote in. Also submitted a ticket.

BastardSheep
New Contributor

@Other wrote:

Having the same issue with 3 iMacs. You'll see the screen as long as your screens are not set to go dark. Mine never sleep, but I put the display to sleep. Ever since upgrading to 10.9.2 if the displays are asleep, you can't wake them up when you remote in. Also submitted a ticket.

Dammit, same thing here and now today I can't even do a reduced session, I'm not even being offered it.  Submitting a ticket too.  I'm glad it's not just me.

CptK
Active Contributor

Submit tickets and follow up with the techs. They did a live session with me to "see" the problem first hand and had me send debug logs too. No solution as of yet though.

BastardSheep
New Contributor

Just tapping around random options, "lock keyboard" suddenly brought my screen back to life.  Once it's no longer blanked out I can control it again.  This confirms that it's definitely the screen blanking option in OSX 10.9.2 partially at fault, with LogMeIn not able to wake the computer from that without some kind of input other than keyboard/mouse taps/clicks/movement. 

CptK
Active Contributor

@Sheep

No luck here for us. That lock-keyboard option does not bring the display up. To be clear our issue is not the computer sleeping. It's actually receiving the keyboard/mouse inputs when connected. We're simply not seeing anything. Computers are set to never sleep.

Strangely enough if we Apple Remote into these machines VPN'd through Hamachi they work just fine displaying the screen. It's something with LMI PRO not drawing the screen when engaged in session. 

kimberl563
New Contributor

This is happening on dual (daisy chained) thunderbolts connected to a mac mini server.  When I do get it to wake up it spins the original desktop like a cube and brings it back to the front.

Another HUGE issue is that after the remote session is ended it is the changing the color profiles that are set on the Thunderbolts.  I use the i1Display Pro hardware device/software to calibrate my monitors - after using logmein I have to re-calibrate everything again.  what the heck is going on?

drheather
Active Contributor

Same issue here with the blank screen, and now I can't log in at all though I can use the file sharing. The program seems to randomly stop working with my iMac though I can log into our PC. Put in a ticket, and got a "we don't have enough info" response after 3 weeks despite multiple reports of similar behavior on these boards. Frustrating.
nokilesa
New Contributor

I have the same issue after changing from Go to my PC to Log me in pro.  Cannot view session unless monitor is powered on.