Forum Discussion

JWJ
12 years ago

Customer participation in Change/Release Management

I work in the IT department in a company of 250+ users (customers) We have a an internal policy on requesting Software implementation (Change management) or updates/patches (Release Management).

The process flow we have adapted is as follows:

A Change/release request comes from one of our customers.

Certain key Customers are notified of the change/release request based on what it will affect, they enter there notes with any concerns.

A member of the support team then approves the request and then its assigned to a tech to plan out the build.

Once the build is complete and ready for testing, the customer is the one that does the testing and reports back to us.

Techs update the change/release request accordingly and once testing has been completed its pushed into production.

We currently have 5 Service desk accounts for our IT support team and the problem I’ve run into with regards to change/release management is that our customers cant create them, get notifications about them or even see the status. As a result we have to use workarounds like using indecent tickets to track and notify end users, which is not really efficient nor does it flow well in the execution process.

This is a feature my department and I imagine others, would benefit greatly from as we currently have to use SharePoint forms to process these request.
  • Hi Luke, has there been any progress in the last 2 years that this popular customer request has been open to allow customers to be notified of changes?
    JWJ
    I actually brought this up in a call I recived from Citrix Qualituy Assurance?  The possible "solution" was to BUY a pool of 5 license keys that can be "shared" within the company.  Putting aside the fact that the "solution" is still to purchase more licensees, the license is unrestricted, users can see everything a Technician can. The other problem is the release of the license key back into the pool  once one person was done with it; if someone forgets to log out (actually click on log out) it holds that license to that user.  Another issue is that when users that participated in this send us an email to our support mailbox, because they are setup in Service Desk, the incident is automatically assigned to them, our real IT team never sees these emails in the queue.

Needless to say the requirement is still there and unresolved.
  • We are a hosting company and would like to add our customers as an approver to their changes. Buying a user license for each customer is cost prohibitive. Any other suggestions? Frankly, I am surprised more folks do not need this functionality. I would think even an internal IT department would want change approval from a business owner that understands the business impact of the change.
      brennand
      New Contributor

Has there been any development on this - when can notifications got to the customer?

AshC
        Retired GoTo Contributor

brennand  While this exact functionality doesn't exist, you do have the ability to link a Change to Incidents so that Customers can still comment / receive updates that link within the SD side for you to see.