Forum Discussion

Hishiryo
7 days ago

How to configure a Static IP network on Hamachi in Debian 12 Bookworm

Hello, good morning, evening or night, I hope you"re doing well.

Here is my problem: I am trying to configure a static Hamachi network using its CLI on Debian 12 Bookworm, while being connected to a WiFi network configured as DHCP (to clarify, the network my computer is connected to handles its IPs with DHCP, while I want the network I have in Hamachi to use static IPs); however, even though I am following the instructions provided in the Hamachi CLI help, it tells me "not a gateway".

This is the command I was using: "sudo hamachi gw-config" mynetwork static net 192.168.100.1 192.168.100.3 255.255.255.0 5.5.5.1" Where "192.168.100.1" and "192.168.100.3" are the start and end IP respectively, "255.255.255.0" is the netmask, and "5.5.5.1" is the default-gateway.

But it shows me this error: "not a gateway"

What would be the correct way to write the command then?
Thank you in advance.

GlennD
    GoTo Manager

Hi Hishiryo,

The gw-config command can only be used on the "gateway" client in a Gateway type Hamachi network. It appears your client is not a "gateway" which is why you are seeing that error message.

This command is used to configure the IP range, from which the "gateway" client will chose an IP for (and give to) "member" clients in the same Gateway type Hamachi network. It is needed only when there is no DHCP server on the LAN, where the "gateway" client resides, and the IP addresses of the computers are configured manually. When DHCP server is present the "gateway" client can reserve IP address for each "member" clients from the DHCP server.