Forum Discussion

lferrari
Active Contributor
10 months ago

Warning under Fedora 39 - systemd unit

I am now getting the following warning running Hamachi under Fedora 39

"SysV service '/etc/rc.d/init.d/logmein-hamachi' lacks a native systemd unit file. ~ Automatically generating a unit file for compatibility. Please update package to include a native systemd unit file, in order to make it safe, robust and future-proof. ! This compatibility logic is deprecated, expect removal soon. !"

Is there any workaround short of Logmein putting out an update?  Hopefully there will be one soon as there hasn't been one for some time.

• Found my answer.   

https://github.com/second2050/logmein-hamachi-nix-companion

Here's how I adapted it for Fedora.  My logmein-hamachi.service file follows:

--

[Unit]
    Description=LogMeIn Hamachi daemon (Fedora)
    After=local-fs.target network.target

[Service]
    ExecStart=/opt/logmein-hamachi/bin/hamachid
    Type=forking

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

--

Installed the above to /etc/systemd/system/logmein-hamachi.service.  

Then ran the following commands as root

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl start logmein-hamachi

systemctl enable logmein-hamachi

Don't forget to delete /etc/init.d/logmein-hamachi when you're done.

It would be nice if this were incorporated into the .rpm file but until then this fix gets me through the deprecation of init.d services coming up soon.

lferrari
    Active Contributor

Found my answer.   

https://github.com/second2050/logmein-hamachi-nix-companion

Here's how I adapted it for Fedora.  My logmein-hamachi.service file follows:

--

[Unit]
    Description=LogMeIn Hamachi daemon (Fedora)
    After=local-fs.target network.target

[Service]
    ExecStart=/opt/logmein-hamachi/bin/hamachid
    Type=forking

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

--

Installed the above to /etc/systemd/system/logmein-hamachi.service.  

Then ran the following commands as root

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl start logmein-hamachi

systemctl enable logmein-hamachi

Don't forget to delete /etc/init.d/logmein-hamachi when you're done.

It would be nice if this were incorporated into the .rpm file but until then this fix gets me through the deprecation of init.d services coming up soon.

karlan777

Just want to say a big thank you! I spent about one afternoon to figure out how to get the service auto-started on my Opensuse tumbleweed. I adopted most of your solution, the only difference is that I have to remove /etc/init.d/logmein-hamachi before using systemctl enable logmein-hamachi.

For any future people dealing with similar issues, this is some additional information for reference.

I am running Opensuse tumbleweed and installed logmein-hamachi-2.1.0.203 rpm package, which is five years old. The service can be configured and started following the official Linux guide (e.g., https://support.goto.com/hamachi/help/hamachi-for-linux-fundamentals-hamachi-c-hamachi-linux-fundamentals). However, you have to manually start it each time you boot the system, which is pretty annoying.  By default, there is no logmein-hamachi.service file after the initial installation, so there is no way to auto start the service using GUI or command line. If you copy an early version of that file from another computer where everything worked, there would be an error message about missing systemd-sysv-install file. Do not waste anytime after seeing this. The solution has been provided above by this nice person, just follow it.

For the official team, not sure if there is still anyone maintaining this Linux version, SysVinit way of doing things is so outdated these days, so I really hope someone can re-organize the package a bit to adapt the Systemd standard. Thanks in advance!

lferrari
        Active Contributor

Glad it was of help.

FYI - I switched away from Hamachi a few months ago to a Wireguard setup.  It's free, extremely well-supported, and built into the Linux kernel.  There are some software suites out there - OS and otherwise - that take care of everything for you.  Since I have a relatively small network I opted for a manual CLI setup.  It only took me an hour or so to figure out.  Things have been going great ever since.

There has not been a new release of Hamachi in some time.  I feared that one day I'd do a simple Fedora software update and it would no longer work.  Now I have all of the capabilities I used to have and I feel much more future-proof.