Forum Discussion

Verricom
Active Contributor
4 years ago

Command prompt closes immediately on connecting

I have various client machines which for no obvious reason refuse to let me open working command prompts, when I do so all that happens is a black window opens with a 110x41 sign in the middle that then clears to show nothing more than "Connection closed." at the top left.

Nothing seems to resolve this, I have removed and reloaded the software at both ends of the connection with no change to the problem.

It is really inconvenient to have to remotely take control of a machine rather than be able to run a background cleanup script or to stop/start services without disrupting a client.

Anyone have any bright ideas or know of any reason that this might be happening?

• Pressing F5 to refresh screen (Connection closed.) fixed for me.

MSolutions
    Active Contributor

I would like to report that F5 is no longer working to remedy this issue.

AshC
    Retired GoTo Contributor

Verricom  Are there any commonalities between the affected hosts such as User Permissions, Operating System version, or security set up? 

Verricom
      Active Contributor

All the affected machines are Windows 10 (20H2 or 21H1) and the logged in users have local admin permissions. One machine has no antivirus at all because it is used on a dedicated "clean" network, two use AVG, four have Norton Lifelock and the rest are running Sophos Central Advanced Intercept-X.

They all used to work fine but now the all show the connection closed message when trying to get either a command prompt from LogMeIn Ignition on a PC or from powershell when using the iOS app.

Cannot see anything useful in the event logs either... very frustrating.

AGJL
    New Contributor

I have this issue as well.  Nothing changed recently except for Windows Updates.  All OS are Windows 10 20H2 or 21H1, Security with Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools (no configuration changes in it, as I administer it).  I know it worked in July.  Noticed it at least started happening last week.  Turning Firewall on or off make no difference.

AGJL
      New Contributor
      UPDATE: Troubleshooting this morning I discovered that I am able to remotely connect to some machines and not others. I can connect to some but not others on the same subnet, some but not others on different subnets behind different physical firewalls. I can reboot a machine that I cannot connect to, try again and still cannot connect. Still troubleshooting...will post updates.
        KB-BC
        Visitor

I am having the exact same issue. From what I have determined, I can connect to any client that uses the Command Prompt (there are few). All others usually connect to a remote PowerShell instead, those are all failing.

Oddly enough, if I open the computer's dashboard from the web portal, I can connect to the remote shell without issue (Computer Management->Command Prompt). It's only doing so from the "LogMeIn Client" app that fails.

elgordo123
    New Contributor

Having same issue.  Was successfully able to connect to the command prompt via the web browser (not the executable the web browser provided, but through the web browser itself).   

Shrek_in_AZ
      New Contributor

having same problem i can not access the command prompt window via the client but can launch it from the web browser dashboard, problem is i can't run my automated scripts via the browser window this is affecting productivity 

• For some reason, when I attempt to login using the Remote Connection or File Manager, I get the message "Disconnected - Connection to the host computer has been lost. Do you want to reconnect?"  Before you could get on - no issues. Now suddenly that is all you are getting.
    I've rebooted the system, restarted LogMein controls but still no joy.  If you use the client from the problematic machine, no get onto other machines without any issues. Its very frustrating.

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

Justright-DJ   The behavior you mentioned is likely related to this known issue we are currently addressing.  It should be resolved in a new release very soon.  Updates to follow on this thread.... 

MrHappy4
        Active Contributor

I'm still getting this error.  Fully updated Windows and LMI 14512.

Start Command Prompt and it keeps closing and refreshing.  Every computer I try, 20+ so far.

mattcoz
    New Contributor

I have this issue often. Today, I was able to connect just fine. Then, my session expired and I had to log back in. Now, it just disconnects immediately. F5 does not fix anything.

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

If you continue to experience connection errors, please click my Community name to send a private message with the login email and host name. 

G_G
        Active Contributor

Thank you Ash for your support offer.

I think that is not necessary.

All I need is a Logmein Client with working Copy and Paste commands in its remote Powershell module.

Problem has been around for months, and two Logmein Client versions after it's still there.

Regards

dw40
    New Contributor

I got it working by remoting into the host and disabling Windows firewall. Then refreshing LMI window and opening a new cmd prompt.

dw40
      New Contributor

Might need to log out and back into logmein for cmd prompt to work after disabling Windows Firewall.

Steps done:

Remoted into computer.

Disabled Window Firewall for Domain, Private, Public.

Set computer network to private.

Logged out of LMI and back in.

Opened cmd prompt.

MrHappy4
        Active Contributor

It works for a little bit, then the next version breaks it, then they fix it again.

We did set a GPO to disable the firewall (still set to Domain), since our AV has its own anyways, and we haven't had problems with this latest version. We had it disabled for over a year though and it didn't help with the last version, so it's hit or miss.