cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barceneaux
Active Contributor

Re: Blank screen when controlling a Mac system

LogMeIn has identified the cause of this issue, and stated it may be caused by Fast User Switching.

While LogMeIn works on the fix for this issue, I have found a workaround.

The solution is to disable Fast User Switching entirely. While this may be an issue for some users that bounce from one account to another, this will [seemingly] fix the issue with LMI.

To permanently disable FUS on a Mac machine, run these Terminal commands:

1. sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences MultipleSessionEnabled -bool false
  2. defaults write .GlobalPreferences userMenuExtraStyle -int 0
  3. defaults -currentHost write com.apple.controlcenter UserSwitcher -int 8

So far, every machine we have deployed this fix on has not had the issue again - even after multiple restarts and attempts to break LMI again.

Macsterguy
Active Contributor

I have never used fast user switching on any of the 30 + Macs I maintain. I'm glad that works for some folks but no help for me. Thanks for your reply though!

barceneaux
Active Contributor

Macster - I would try this fix on at least one machine having the issue. Doing this fix cleared our issues immediately, even if we have never Fast User Switched on the machine.

Dudkin

This issue is still unresolved. In my case, it's a Mac mini, headless. Funny, that a cheap HDMI -> VGA dongle connecting to the HDMI port fixed all my problems. I tested it back and forth with multiple reboots, logins-logoffs, and works like a charm.

Macsterguy
Active Contributor

I was under the impression that this issue was fixed and a software update quite some time ago… At long last all of my Apple Silicon Macs are working fine now.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

I recall some Mac Minis needed to have something connected so that the graphics were activated correctly.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
barceneaux
Active Contributor

Well this is odd.. All of my issues have been resolved with recent releases of LMI - on Intel Mac minis, M1's, and M2's, all of which are connected to monitors.

I WILL say, we do run some Intel Mac minis headless in a server environment, and we MUST plug in a dummy HDMI plug, shown below.

barceneaux_0-1683207396052.jpeg

Otherwise, I am sure we experience the same issues you are. It's not impossible to control the computers without them.. Just very difficult as the screen is extremely distorted.