cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SM-MGP
Active Contributor

Deeply frustrating experience with new Goto App

Once to twice per day, if left open, the Goto app will take over my full screen (interrupting work/presentations/etc.) and open a Browser tab as though I've just signed in to the app (2 separate pop-ups). When this happens, it causes a few seconds of lag in my applications, and has even crashed a critical render I had running once.

I assume the app is checking for updates or some other background process, but, the behavior is completely unacceptable. It should not need to sign me back in, generate multiple pop-ups, etc. and interrupt my work on a daily basis. No other app on my system does this, or at least those that do offer the ability to disable automatic updates.

I need a solution.

Overall my experience with the new Goto app, aside from the visual design and emoji reactions have been extremely poor. Our org misses the old Gotomeeting app which worked quite well. This new app has consistently felt like a regression.

6 REPLIES 6
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Deeply frustrating experience with new Goto App

Hi @SM-MGP, welcome to the community.

That does not sound like normal behavior for the GoTo App or how it manages updates. , We will need to get some more details in order to investigate this, such as what operating system you are using and a screenshot of your desktop when it happens may also offer a clue.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
SM-MGP
Active Contributor

Hi Glenn,

I have been keeping the app closed to prevent the issue, so it may take some time for the issue to reoccur but I will absolutely grab a screenshot when it happens again and start opening it again after-hours (when it will not interrupt work) to try and force it to happen.

This happens on both my Asus 16" laptop (GU603VV i7-13620H running Windows 11) and my desktop (custom built, Windows 11, i7-13700k). If you need any more in-depth system information than that let me know and I can gather anything you'd like.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

We are going to take a look at the automatic updates and authentication checks to see what can be done to make sure they are happening outside work hours.

SM-MGP
Active Contributor

Hi GlennD,

Thank you for looking in to this.

The issue just happened now and caused the 3D Application I was playing to crash (due to the sudden takeover of Goto).

Is it possible to re-enable the old Gotomeeting experience until this issue is fixed? I tried to join meetings via a browser but was unable so it appears I'm stuck with having to remember to close Goto when I'm not using it.

I do not have this issue with any other app on my PC. It should not be needing to pop up a browser window + app window at random times...

Here is the requested screenshot

SMMGP_0-1713733234966.png

Edit: I wanted to add I verified with 2 of my coworkers and they also experience this behavior.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Thank you for the screenshot @SM-MGP, what is happening here is the App reauthenticating/signing into your account. Our team would like to review the App log files from your computer, can you please copy the logs folder and zip/compress it and then email it to gotoservice at logmein dot com 

Open the GoTo App and the Log folder on your computer as shown below

SM-MGP
Active Contributor

I have submitted the log files to the email in question and referenced this thread in the e-mail as well.

I hope we can fix the random re-authentications, but moreover, even if they are occurring I hope the team can change the behavior to not take over as a foreground application when re-authenticating/updating. My computer is plenty powerful to run background tasks but having the app take over as a foreground task is causing headaches and no other app I run behaves like this, so I have to imagine it's fixable.