cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boyd B.
Contributor

Automatic client updates

Some of my devices have an unattended client version 1.11.0.2369, while others are at 1.9.5.1960.  The newer versions of the client are on devices I added in June and July, while the older versions are on devices added in August. All were installed using an installer I downloaded in June. Can I force the client to upgrade?  Do I have to download a new installer and run it? Is this even possible, since I would be connected using the unattended client?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GoTo_Robi
GoTo Contributor

Re: Automatic client updates

Hi @Boyd B. 

The current method is that an unattended applet is updated when a new release is deployed (automatically).

If you install an old version, then it won't upgrade till we have a new release. So the endpoint will upgrade, but might take days or weeks, depending when we release a new version.

Agreed, this is not optimal, so we will change the upgrade logic (coming in a few weeks) so that the old version will immediately upgrade to the latest one upon installation. This will eliminate any manual upgrade process from your side.

We are going to release a new applet in 1-2 days, so all your endpoints will upgrade to the latest version soon.

Br,

Robi

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @Boyd B. there is no way for us to force the update.  The way you could do it would be to uninstall and run a newer installer on the end user machines.

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
Boyd B.
Contributor

That's not what I would expect. In GoToAssist v4, the client automatically updated itself.

Updating the unattended client manually is definitely a problem. I would have to physically be at the machine myself,  or involve the computer's user to update the unattended client.

In larger installations manual updates would be untenable.

GoTo_Robi
GoTo Contributor

Hi @Boyd B. 

The current method is that an unattended applet is updated when a new release is deployed (automatically).

If you install an old version, then it won't upgrade till we have a new release. So the endpoint will upgrade, but might take days or weeks, depending when we release a new version.

Agreed, this is not optimal, so we will change the upgrade logic (coming in a few weeks) so that the old version will immediately upgrade to the latest one upon installation. This will eliminate any manual upgrade process from your side.

We are going to release a new applet in 1-2 days, so all your endpoints will upgrade to the latest version soon.

Br,

Robi

Boyd B.
Contributor

Okay - that explains what I was seeing. Thanks for that.

Boyd B.
Contributor

It has been 3 weeks, and I now have client versions 1.9, 1.11, and 1.12. The older clients have not updated themselves, as of today. How long is the update cycle supposed to take?