cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle Kennedy
New Contributor

GoToAssist Stealing Windows mouse/keyboard focus every few minutes.

Since a few updates ago, GoToAssist has been stealing the focus of my Windows desktop.  For example, I have multiple monitors, and I have GoToAssist open full screen on one, while taking notes or something on some other screen.  Every few minutes, my current window I'm typing in loses focus and none of my key strokes are captured.  Even since I started writing this, I've had to re-click in the window here multiple times to keep typing.  It was super frustrating for a while, so I decided to track down what was causing the issue.  I grabbed a program called Windows Focus Logger that tracks what applications are stealing focus, if they are off screen, if they grab the keyboard and/or mouse, etc.  This program showed me clearly that the second I lose focus and my typing stops, the g2ax_user_expert process steals the focus.  And it doesn't matter if GTA is minimized/maximized, on one monitor or the other, etc.

This HAS to be fixed, ASAP.  It is making it impossible to work.  I may type an entire paragraph, then realize none of it was recorded because focus switched.  It also affects copy/paste and several other things.  I'm about to post a screenshot here that shows in the last 5 minutes, it has stolen the focus 6 times, all at random intervals.

I've been a GTA customer for several years, but if this doesn't get fixed soon, I'm going to be forced to go to something else.

System specs:
Windows 10
Intel 8 core
64GB ram
Nvidia GTX970

EDIT:
I opened a ticket as well.
Ticket number 09820588

43 REPLIES 43
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: GoToAssist Stealing Windows mouse/keyboard focus every few minutes.

Hi Kyle,

So you are in an active Attended or Unattended session when this is happening, or you just have the Technicians software in full screen waiting to start a session? Do you have the Unattended computer list window left open also? When the GTA-RS Technician window takes focus, are you being prompted for anything?
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Kyle Kennedy
New Contributor

So support got back with me, and I think they may be on to something.  They stated that there has only ever been one other report of this happening, and it was because of having a rotating slideshow of pictures on the desktop.  And I'm doing that!  They said it messes with their software, and the only way around it is to close GTA if not using it, or disable the slideshow.  So I just set my background to solid black, and will test it out over several hours, monitoring focus.  I'll update if that's the fix.

Glenn, to answer your above question, it wouldn't matter.  I could have an active session, or nothing.  It could be full screen, minimized, in the background, whatever...didn't matter.  It could be on any monitor...didn't matter.  And no, when it took focus, it would not prompt anything, and would not even show up on the screen.  For example, if it was minimized or behind another window, it would take focus and stay wherever it was.  That's why it was so hard to track down.  It was like a phantom process was taking focus, but not presenting itself.  That's why that tool I spoke of really helped find what it was.

Hopefully, making the above changes fixes it.
Kyle Kennedy
New Contributor

Update.  So far, not good.  Still doing it.  In fact, it's more frequent now.  I'll have to wrap up what I'm working on, and then I'll give the system a fresh boot, uninstall GTA, reboot, reinstall GTA, reboot, and try it all again.  It's done it 3 times in the 60 seconds it's taken me to write this.  😕
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Thanks Kyle, so you're just using the slideshow feature in Windows 10 under the Personalize option, not a 3rd party application. What frequency do you have it set to change? I'm trying to see if I can reproduce the issue on my own Windows 10 PC. 

Mark Kunkle
New Contributor

I am having the same issue with GTA Expert on Yoga 3 Pro, Parallels virtual machine running windows 10 and brand new Thinkcentre M700. It is driving me crazy. all systems windows 10 pro. Only way to stop it is to stop the GTA software and service. Yesterday on my laptop I had no sessions open but the unattended computers window popped up every 30 seconds until I rebooted but still lose focus continuously. Rotating background is only on my Yoga 3 Pro.
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Mark, so you had the Technician software running and minimized with no active sessions? The Unattended computer list was actually opening by itself, or had you minimized it as well and it kept popping back up? 

We did change the behavior of the Unattended computer list a couple of releases ago, originally it closed as soon as you selected a computer to connect with. Because many Technicians wanted to start more than one Unattended session at a time, we changed it so that the window stays open until you close it.

Mark Kunkle
New Contributor

I can close it and it pops up again. I actually like that it does not close everytime. Many times I am working on two systems at the same location and it saves a little time not having to reopen it. 

But this loss of focus is driving me up a wall. This is the log while I typed this.

7904:C:\Users\MKunkle\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToAssist Remote Support Expert\1092\g2ax_user_expert.exe | Thu Aug 18 17:58:20 2016
No foreground application | Thu Aug 18 18:00:01 2016
164452:C:\Windows\explorer.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:00:01 2016
182424:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:00:04 2016
7904:C:\Users\MKunkle\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToAssist Remote Support Expert\1092\g2ax_user_expert.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:00:25 2016
182424:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:00:28 2016
7904:C:\Users\MKunkle\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToAssist Remote Support Expert\1092\g2ax_user_expert.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:01:31 2016
182424:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:01:34 2016
7904:C:\Users\MKunkle\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToAssist Remote Support Expert\1092\g2ax_user_expert.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:02:05 2016
182424:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe | Thu Aug 18 18:02:10 2016

Mark Kunkle
New Contributor

I can stop the issue by killing all GTA services and windows, but I try to do as much as possible remotely.
Mario Martinez1
New Contributor

I've been facing this issue since I started using GTA for work. It's extremely frustrating. GTA will take focus from itself. One situation where it will always happen is when using the chat feature. If the customer starts typing, it will move focus to the chat window. The other situation is the Unattended Access window will steal focus or pop up over your GTA session if it's open.