cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mick Southam
New Contributor

Upgrade to run as a service failed. Administrator access unavailable.

Upgrade to run as a service failed. Administrator access unavailable.  This message is starting to appear more and more but what causes it.
11 REPLIES 11
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Upgrade to run as a service failed. Administrator access unavailable.

Hi Mick,

Can you please provide more information? What versions of Windows are the client PCs running? How often have you seen this? What is the client seeing on their end when you try to upgrade the session to run as a service etc?
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Cloudeight
Active Contributor

Just wanted to add that I have been seeing this from time to time lately too. Customers are using Windows 10, using an admin account and in all cases, it is the only account on their system. I don't realize there is a problem until I try to run something like services.msc, task manager, or if I try to reboot (denies it). When the alert comes up, just denies me Run as Service. I asked my most recent customer to call Citrix support and see if they can do a test connection and find out why this is an issue.

Darcy, Cloudeight
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Thanks Darcy, if you open your GTA-RS Preferences you can set your Attended sessions to try and start as a Service by default. Since your Client is an admin on their PC, they should be able to join normally. Would you mind enabling this Preference and try a new session with your Client? It would be interesting to know if they are able to join the session and if GTA-RS runs as a Service successfully.

Cloudeight
Active Contributor

I have that set already and have right along in preferences. It is quite random when it happens. When the client I referenced above calls Citrix and gets back to me, I will see what she finds out. Maybe I am missing something.

Darcy
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Okay, that is interesting thanks. Since they are an admin on their PC, they should be joining the session with GTA-RS running as a service by default then. 

Mick Southam
New Contributor

Our situation is more or less the same as Darcy.  We too have run as a service ticked yet on some machine it just wont allow it.
Mick Southam
New Contributor

Further....

"Upgrade to run as a service failed.  Administrator access unavailable"

we get this message even though our machine are set up as administrators as are our customers.  Does this mean that GoToAssist has a bug as we can see no reason for it.

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

FYI another Technician that was experiencing this issue discovered that it was because the client was not accepting the UAC prompt on their end. This may be the cause for some of you as well, so be sure to ask your clients if they are seeing a Windows UAC prompt and to click on OK.

I'm going to ask the team if we can generate a better error message when this happens. 

rdwild
New Contributor

I have seen this myself, several times in recent months.  No UAC prompt being ignored on user end.  My most recent example, the user was the only admin account on the machine, and UAC was turned off.