cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anna Mantica

Text me when new incident is created?

I'd like to get a text whenever a new incident is created in Service Desk.

Currently my users create all tickets via email.  I WAS using a google group to work around this but all of a sudden it's resulting in double issue creation now. I was doing the following:

User creates an incident by emailing help@mydomain.com
That email address is forwarded to group@mydomain.com
This group contains the GTA support address and my SMS text address. I receive an email along with a text telling me a new issue needs attention.

The only problem with this method is that some tickets come through with the original sender as the customer and others come in from the group email address as the customer and those issues are created twice in Service Desk.

Is this available as an option and I'm just not seeing it or do I just have to deal with the duplicate issues and re-assigning them to the correct customer whenever the incident is created incorrectly?
7 REPLIES 7
Bcshay
Active Contributor

Re: Text me when new incident is created?

That's not best practice. Always force your users to log Incidents in your IT Customer Portal. If you use Exchange in your environment you can then create an inbox rule that will send you an SMS message when a new Incident is created. 
Anna Mantica

My users don't want to login to yet another website to create a ticket. They have 100 usernames and passwords they need to remember already just to do their jobs. Also, accessing the portal via a mobile device is not feasible for this group. They can barely use email.

We don't use Exchange, we use Google apps.

Also, we can't "force" these users to do anything. They are independent contractors not employees.
Bcshay
Active Contributor

Unfortunately there is no support for SMS in the service desk app.  I agree; would be nice if there was. 
Anna Mantica

Any word on the mobile app that was promised over a year ago? Push notifications would accomplish the same thing. I found a thread saying they were working on it and then radio silence for the last 12 months or so.
Bcshay
Active Contributor

Good question. I've got no clue what's on their road map though.
jason1111
Active Contributor

Guys the answer you are looking for is this https://ifttt.com/ (If This, Then, That)

I use it for everything alert related and particularly for my ticket system as I never want to miss an important ticket.

You will need to activate a couple of channels such as email and android SMS or IOS notifications, but once that's done it's simply a case of creating a simple trigger or recipe as they like to call it that goes along the lines of: 

IF email arrives from @mydomain.assist.com THEN send myself an SMS.  Push notifications are also possible and are dead easy to set up.

I also use it to do things like send my colleague a text if I miss a call from any of our VIP's etc.

There's so many things you can use this free service for when it comes to IT support.
Bcshay
Active Contributor

Great solution!