Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: giving mouse and keyboard control

Hi,

A few of things to note:

If the meeting Organizer's account is set to use the GoTo App all of the attendees will join using the GoTo App by default, and the same goes for GoToMeeting Classic. 

If you are using the GoTo App and attendees are being asked to install Classic GoToMeeting when they first join check the link you are sending them. If it is an older meeting originally scheduled using Classic GoToMeeting that is most likely the cause. 

Classic GoToMeeting and GoTo App meetings have differently formatted join links which is important:

This doesn't mean that you need to reschedule all of your older meetings. Existing scheduled meetings have the join links automatically updated to the new format in the GoTo App, you just need to make sure you are sharing the meeting link in the new format so your attendees do not download Classic GoToMeeting and join in the GoTo App instead.

The ability to request remote control is coming in a future update to the GoTo App. For now, the steps are:

• As the Presenter, share your screen
  • Click on the Mouse icon that is now visible on your GoTo App toolbar
  • Select the Attendee you wish to give remote control to
  • The Attendee now has a Mouse icon on their toolbar, they click on it to start remote control
  • The Attendee can click on the Mouse icon again to stop remote control
  • The Organizer can click on the the Mouse icon to stop remote control or to give it to a different Attendee

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
BrettUT
Active Contributor

I have been on the new Goto app for at least 6 months, and my meetings are all formatted with the new meeting link, but what is downloaded onto their machines is the classic connector.  This is the case either with me starting a new meeting manually (an absurdly complex process IMO), or the meeting link auto-generated via the Calendly integration - either way the links are in the new format.

I had a client today that I was meeting with and rushed to get someone from support to hop on the line which provided the download link for the Windows App download, because what was being downloaded from the new meet.goto.com link was pulling the classic program down instead of the new.

Once we uninstalled that, downloaded from the proper link, the keyboard control worked with no problem

There is something not working properly on the meeting downloader.......I watched it install the classic 3x before the rep stepped us through the process to get the new one.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Honestly, I find this surprising. I have shared this with the team to see if they can identify how this is happening. 

Bosand
Active Contributor

Goodness!  I find it surprising that you're surprised! 

I have been using GTM for three years now.  It used to allow us to give remote keyboard and mouse control to the person we were meeting virtually.  This was a huge bonus when we were submitting complicated applications and a major reason we stayed with GTM.  It stopped working several months ago.  I cannot have a business client sit there for half of our scheduled time downloading the app several times in order to conduct our meeting.  Very disappointing to say the least.  We have been using our Teams and Zoom platforms more and more since we've lost this feature in GTM. PLEASE get it back in there as soon as possible!  Yes, I have downloaded all of my updates as they come out.

Bosand
Active Contributor

My task bar does not look like that. I have updated my app and it still does not show a mouse
GlennD
GoTo Manager

@Bosand Please click on my community name and send me a Private Message with the meeting link(s) you are sharing so we can investigate why your attendees are getting the Classic GoToMeeting download.

BrettUT
Active Contributor

@Bosand Ya, that's the new quirk - you cannot request control (I've been told this is temporary, but it's been the only way for this new app for a long time now) - the presenter has to go to their control panel and give you control.  Only once they've given you control will the mouse icon show up for you, which you then have to click on to actually 'pick up' control and be able to move the mouse/type/etc......

The problem is that if they don't have the right app downloaded/installed, even though the mouse is present when they give you control, you can do nada.  IMO, if there is incompatibility between the host and client builds, the mouse shouldn't show as an option to be given, since the web-app has no capacity to give/accept remote control of the mouse/keyboard (from what I understand).

The question you have to ask them is if they see a white box with black G logo - also, you'll want to have them go into add/remove programs and uninstall the older connector (orange box with white asterisk).

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Can you also click on my community name and Private Message me the links you are sharing? 

BrettUT
Active Contributor

While I would love to report that this is working swimmingly, on the first call where I had remote control semi-functional, the lag is absurd.  No one will be touching the mouse and we'll be sitting here watching the cursor dance all over the screen even though no one has their hands on their mice.

This program is not ready for release and should be yanked.  The old program should be forced out and left alone until GoTo can figure out what the hell is wrong with whatever this program is supposed to be - I am beyond tired of apologizing for this half-baked/functional thing and trying to get through meetings and testing calls where we're angrily rage-watching the program either do nothing, or do nothing you want it to be doing.  I'm looking at alternatives - the amount of time wasted on troubleshooting this is absurd.

Bosand
Active Contributor

Update:  I deleted my web app and reinstalled the desktop app.  It seems to be working now as long as I don't use the web version.

Thank you Rogelio, GoTo Customer Support for your assistance!