cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Display errors with SQL server

Hi there, 

I'm connecting to a Win10 laptop from a Win7 laptop with gotomypc. The connection works fine for running things like MS Office. However, for MS SQL server management studio 17, the script editor window and the menu bar are missing. Just blank, but there is a faint outline of them. Does anybody know what the problem is here and how I could rectify it?

thanks very much

Sarah

9 REPLIES
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Display errors with SQL server

Hi @SarahL ,

Sorry for the trouble there.

I would suggest a couple of things to troubleshoot this:

1. Visit the Host computer's manufacturer's website to confirm the product ID, and update any available video drivers
  2. Try adjusting the GoToMyPC viewer settings / preferences to 'Better Quality'
  3. Adjust the Host desktop's display settings to see if there is any improvement

New Contributor

Hi AshC, thanks.

I checked the driver for the graphics card and it's the latest. I'm running with perfomance set to "better appearance". I've also tried adjusting the resolution on the PC I'm trying to connect to. 

I still have the same problem when trying to access the PC from a different location. 

However, when I'm accessing it on the same local network (i.e. just via my home router) I don't have this problem, and I can see the all the SQL server screens. 

Any other thoughts?

thanks

Sarah

Tags (1)
LogMeIn Contributor

@SarahL - Could you test the connection without the Host Preference for 'Direct Connections' engaged (Connection Tab on the Host Preferences window) ?

Direct Connections

New Contributor

Hi AshC

thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it made no difference. 

I did some more investigation by opening other programs and seeing if they have the same issue. For web browsers, MS Edge is fine (whole window displays properly). However, Firefox seems to have a very similar issue to what I see with SQL server: the whole Firefox window is blank (just white) and doesn't update even after many minutes. 

With SQL server, when i start it up, only the sub-window that has the list of tables in the database shows. The other windows (query editor and query results) plus menu bar are all blank. HOwever, the query results window does get filled when I execute a query. The query editor window stays blank (white). However, I know there is text in it because I can (blindly) select the text and copy it into e.g. notepad. 

Does this help shed any light? I am totally mystified and unfortunately it makes GoToMyPC unuseable for us at the moment, because I really need access to the SQL server. 

thanks again

Sarah

LogMeIn Contributor

Do you have any security software running on this problem Host?

Is the image identical AT the Host location while you are remotely connected?

New Contributor

Hi AshC,

what type of security software do you mean? I have Windows Defender Firewall switched on, plus Glasswire. 

>> Is the image identical AT the Host location while you are remotely connected?

It's difficult to tell this because I don't have anyone checking the image at the host location when I'm remotely connected. Is it important to know this in order to diagnose?

Also, I have the same problem with Firefox that others had. This seems a similar problem to what I have with MS SQL server. Was the Firefox problem ever resolved? It seems like if I can resolve that, it might resolve the MS SQL server problem. 

thanks
Sarah

LogMeIn Contributor

The web browser activation can trigger a feature in some security centers similar to 'transaction protection', which would only blank the screen while a browser windows remained open, in order to stop any remote software from capturing personal data.

In your case, it could also be a failure or conflict of some kind with the video driver / hardware updates.  Can you try to uncheck 'automatically adjust visual experience' option on the advanced SQL features area?

New Contributor

Hi AshC and others experiencing similar issues (SQL server management studio and Mozilla Firefox windows being blank when viewed with gotomypc):

indeed I needed to manually update graphics drivers via the manufacturer's website (HP*)! I did a general "check all drivers up to date" which did not resolve the problem. Instead, I had to go to the website "HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads" and then to the section "Driver-Graphics". I manually installed 2 drivers:

- NVIDIA Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709) 23.21.13.8873 rev.c

- NVIDIA High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver 10.18.13.5384 rev.a

I then had to restart the laptop. I could then view all Mozilla Firefox and SQL server management studio windows without problem!

Please note that you may not have to install the 2nd driver update above. Try the first one, reboot, and see if that resolves the issue. 

Second point to note is that a recent Windows 10 update that I installed seemed to erase the update of these drivers that I'd done a couple of months ago: I had to repeat the process above. 

hth and thanks very much for your help AshC

Sarah 

* my laptop that I view remotely with gotomypc is a HP ENVY Notebook - 17 - r107na (ENERGY STAR) running Win 10 64 bit

LogMeIn Contributor

Right on @SarahL

Appreciate the confirmation on a fix.