cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlonabaugh
Active Contributor

I connect to remote PC but only see black screen

When I log into one of my remote PC's I connect but I only see a black screen and all tools are greyed out. I have 25 conections and this is the only one that will not work. I have been logging into this PC for years and thius issue just started. I uninstalled GTMPC and reinstalled but that did not help.

Any suggestions would be deeply apreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mlonabaugh
Active Contributor

Re: I connect to remote PC but only see black screen

Hello,
Thank you all for your assistance but I figured it out. I uninstalled a recent NVIDIA update and l and logged right in. Man that was frustrating. Thanks again!~

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AshC
GoTo Moderator

@mlonabaugh  Sorry about that!

Could you specify what OS the problem host computer is running?

Do you have any security apps installed there that might block a remote connection?

Have you rebooted the problem PC before testing again?

Ash is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
mlonabaugh
Active Contributor

Hello,

I have Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview. Red Stone Pre release. 

I have the same OS on multiple PC's and I can log into all the others. 

As stated before I have been remoting into this PC for years and nothing has changed as far as security apps. 

I even tried turniing off my firewall. 

I have rebooted many times, and as stated before I have unistalled and reinstalled GTMPC. 

Also, I can still log into this PC with Go To Asissist.

Thanks!

AshC
GoTo Moderator

@mlonabaugh  -  Do you see the mouse trailing on the host screen while connected at all (over the black screen)?

Typically when the GoToMyPC Tools menu is completely grayed out / unusable, then this means the session its self is not fully connecting there due to a local firewall or network restriction.

To rule out any hardware issues on this one Host, I might even try setting up an alternate user profile to connect into / reinstall GoToMyPC under.  Otherwise, I would fully test the local security options and reach out to the provider for more info.

Reference:  GoToMyPC and Firewalls

mlonabaugh
Active Contributor

"Do you see the mouse trailing on the host screen while connected at all (over the black screen)?"

Yes. And if I hit the Ctrl+Del button on the top right it performs a  Ctrl+Del on the host.

I know it's not the firewall becasue I turned it off, and it's not the ISP because I can log into multiple PC's at this location without insedent.  I can even log into this PC with GOTOASSIST. 

I'm wondering if it is a video driver issue. ?

Thanks for reply! 

mlonabaugh
Active Contributor

Hello,
Thank you all for your assistance but I figured it out. I uninstalled a recent NVIDIA update and l and logged right in. Man that was frustrating. Thanks again!~
AshC
GoTo Moderator

Great! 

Thanks for confirming everything is OK again!

Sturge
New Contributor

Hi, I have a similar issue. I log into Gotomypc on my Iphone, Ipad and MacBook and all of them log in and state that we are in a session on the host computor but only present a black screen with a "I'm Thinking" swirl that never advances. Any ideas?

mlonabaugh
Active Contributor

Hi Sturge,

It ended up being a video driver issue for me. I uninstalled the latest NVIDIA update and everything was fine. 

The only problem is the driver keeps updating and every time it does I have the issue again. 

I am going to look into keeping the driver from updating. 

I hope this helps.... 

Cheers! 

Nancyneedsto
New Contributor

Where was the file you deleted located and were you able to delete it without having to physical be in front of host computer