cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Opening e-mails and other files.

I just recently started using this product to remotely access computers.  I have been successfully able to launch Microsoft Outlook to move e-mails to archive folders, but I can't actually open any of my e-mails.  They appear in the track, but nothing happens when I select them.

Also, I've tried unsuccessfully to open files on the computer such as Microsoft Word or Excel.  Are these features that aren't supported by this product?

The computer that I'm accessing is running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional with Office 2016.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Opening e-mails and other files.

Hi EJK,
Sorry for the trouble there.
Those applications should be fully compatible with GoToMyPC, and I use them remotely with my Windows 10 machine every day.

What operating system is the Host computer?
Are you logging into an end User Account that has full administrative rights?

New Contributor

Ash,

Thank you for the timely reply.  I'm not sure how you define "the Hose computer", so I'll provide some additional information.  I was using a Dell XPS 8000 computer running MSW 7 SP2 to access a Dell XPS 8900 computer running MSW 7 Professional via a Chrome browser.

Just a few minutes ago, I used a Dell Inspiron running MSW 8.1 to access both of the computers listed above via a Chrome browser.  I also accessed a Gateway desktop running MSW 8.1.

I had the same problem with the Dell XPS 8900; selecting a file such as MS Office Excel just results in a small circle being added next to cursor, but nothing happens.  I was able to successfully open files on both the Dell XPS 8000 running MSW 7 SP2 and the Gateway running MSW 8.1.

Your assistance is appreciated.
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi EJK,
I've checked your account settings, and do not see anything different from the other Hosts there.

Could you also check the system resources by opening up the Task Manager on the Host computer, and make sure the Performance tab doesn't show that it's lingering at 100% ?

New Contributor

Ash,

I may have found the reason for my issue.  The computer that I'm remotely connecting to has dual monitors.  A few days ago, I accidentally found a small triangle on the vertical boarder of the GoToMyPC window being displayed on this computer.  When I clicked on the triangle, the information being displayed on the second monitor appeared in the GoToMyPC window.

So, I'm thinking that the e-mails and other files were actually being opened, but I didn't know how to find them if they were being displayed on the second monitor.

If the issue returns, I'll be sure to click on the triangle to see if they are being displayed on the second monitor.

Thank you.