cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Packet Loss Issue

We are having a problem with packet loss.

We don't have any problems connecting to the internet or got any packet loss error messages when browsing the internet on Laptop or ipad.  Therefore it seems the internet is working correctly.

However when logged on Laptop or ipad and go to website GoToMyPC  to log into work PC we get packet loss issues.

Can anybody give me any advice or help on why this might be happening and if there is anything we can do to rectify it.

3 REPLIES 3
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Packet Loss Issue

Hi Kay, packet loss with GoToMyPC can be a little trickier than navigating a website. Due to the nature of our service, low latency and no packet loss are musts to ensure a quality experience; Latency would increase input lag, where your mouse movements or keyboard strokes would be delayed, whereas packet loss would be missing data altogether, where a keystroke or mouse click might be completely ignored. This can be due to high latency, where the packets are just dropped because they took too long to travel from your client to host computer, or vice versa.

There are some things that you can do for yourself to try to improve your experience. If you are using WiFi on either your host or client computers, you can potentially improve your connection by switching them to wired connections. If you have any sort of web filter or proxy in your network, these may be hindering communication between the computers; exempting GoToMyPC traffic, or using our connection wizard (Windows only) to force a specific port for GoToMyPC to use on either host or client might help.

You can also try reducing the amount of data being sent from the host computer. In GoToMyPC's Preferences, you can reduce the quality settings to improve speed. In Windows settings, lowering your resolution and/or color bit-depth would lower the amount of data being sent from your host, improving speed.

Other things might be outside your control. Depending on your Internet Service Provider, you may not be able to improve your connection (satellite connections are notorious for their high latency).

New Contributor

I too have the same issue of packet loss on the host computer. It has internet connection, etc., but delays everything that I am trying to do because it says, "The Host Computer is Experiencing Packet Loss" and this goes on and on like every 2 to 3 minutes. This makes my being able to access the host computer, to do my work, very difficult. I am hoping that someone can give me fix for this issue or insight on how to approach fixing the issue. I have been using GoToMyPc for over 15 years, and over the years it has become less and less usable, especially since it being changed to LogMeIn. I would like to continue refering others to your products, but only if it is going to be a quality product that works like it is supposed to.  Look forward to hearing from others or Technical Services of GoToMyPc to provide a fix.

Sincerely,

April 

LogMeIn Contributor

Hi April,

I'm sorry about the recent functionality change for GoToMyPC.

Since the problem began have you seen any other local area network problems at the Host computer side of things?

Are there any updates to the GoToMyPC software at the Host computer?