cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Two monitors at work three at home

We have laptop users with two external monitors at home. The office computers have two. We would like GoToMyPC to expand to the same number of monitors, not try to go across the laptop screen and the two external monitors. That is unusable.  I opened a case asking for a feature request or something like that, I think case number 13828199. By the way, this has nothing to do with video resolutions or desktop zoom settings as we make sure to match the office computers with both laptops and monitors we provide.

This is extremely important because video conferencing just doesn't work over GoToMyPC, and is a common struggle across remote access methods. We need to use the built in laptop camera, and users want to stay connected to their two screens in the office and at home. For instance, many video calls require users to reference multiple documents, emails, accounting system, and various combinations on the work computer. Right now people have to start GoToMyPC with the laptop screen closed. Then GoToMyPC correctly uses both external monitors. However, when they need to use video conferencing, watch a video, do something with voice, they must open the laptop screen. This causes GoToMyPC to go back to using just one of the external monitors. While we are glad there is that workaround, it is ONLY  a workaround and not a good long term solution.

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Two monitors at work three at home

@awphillips  It sounds like you want to stretch the GoToMyPC viewer across two out of three client screens, where the laptop is the 3rd screen to be used as a working screen?

Can you say how the external monitors are set up with the client laptop, and if there's a doc involved anywhere?  I believe the issue there may be with the type/number/power of the laptop video card and the interpretation by the viewer of the resolution behavior. 

Highlighted
Active Contributor

It is happening in multiple configurations. Support seems to think it is working as designed, even though it creates an unusable situation. They told me that GoToMyPC will try to expand across however many monitors are in use, regardless of how many are in the office. Have you had a different experience? A solution would make a lot of people very happy and more productive!

Thanks!

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Can you elaborate please upon how the monitors and PC are attached?  Historically some laptop docking stations have not been powerful enough to manage the multiple monitor projections from the Host PC, which is why I'm asking.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

It happens on fully powered docks like Lenovo Ultra and also when no docs are present. A couple people use Lenovo Ultra doc, VGA, and HDMI. Most employees don't use a doc and use HDMI and a VGA dongle. It doesn't matter if the laptops are brand new or several years old. Various Lenovo models.

Thanks,