cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Windows and pull-down menus turn to lines before entire screen freezes, preventing restart.

With increasing regularity, I've been experiencing crashes where the menus/screen appearance loads incorrectly as horizontal lines. As I try to click on new menus, they also turn to just lines, then the whole screen freezes. I am unable to use any menu to restart the computer. When I disconnect from GoToMyPC, the computer appears to be connected, so I attempt again but it just connects to a black screen that won't fully load, and on another attempt it gets stuck on the "Connecting to computer..." screen.

A reboot must be done remotely, which is extremely inconvenient for me. I will be driving to the remote computer to see if it's also frozen on that end, as well.

What is causing this? Is this Beta or Orig. GoToMyPC related? How can it be resolved -- OR how can I restart my computer remotely, should I buy an external crash recovery device like Kick-off?
6 REPLIES 6
New Contributor

Re: Windows and pull-down menus turn to lines before entire screen freezes, preventing restart.

(MORE ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEMSmiley Happy

ADDITIONALLY, I went to the office to restart the crashed computer, and the screen appeared fine on that end but was frozen/would not allow any actions. I shut it down and restarted it twice. I also updated GoToMyPC and restarted.
Hoping to solve the crash issues, I set it to shut itself down at 2am and restart at 6am, thinking it would be refreshed by the time I logged in at 9. So this AM I connected via GoToMyPC, but the screen was already frozen, black, w/ messed up graphics and no menus (see attached).

I just spoke w/ someone at the office and the screen had the same appearance on their end -- black w/ strange graphics.

I need a solution! Anyone have a clue what to do to resolve this???
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Windows and pull-down menus turn to lines before entire screen freezes, preventing restart.

Hi Kelly,

It looks like you Host is a Mac, is that correct? What version of OS X does it use? Also, do you know which version of GoToMyPC you have installed?
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Hi, Glenn,
Thank you for responding.
Both host and remote computers are Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (specifics of host below)
And GoToMyPC Version 8.0 (943)

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
LogMeIn Manager

Thanks Kelly,

I have checked and this is not a known issue with GoToMyPC, while we can capture the Mac screen we do not have the ability to affect the resolution etc Would it be possible for you to uninstall GoToMyPC, reboot and try to use the Mac normally and see if the issue persists? To dig any further we will need to look at log files and crash reports from your Mac.
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Okay...When I'm next at the host location, I will reinstall.
I still wonder why the transmitted image came across w/ lines (see first screen shot example above), when the host screen itself appeared fine/unaffected on that end -- apart from being frozen. With each rollover/click, the lines form where the graphics/menus should be on the remote viewer, but everything appears as normal on the host screen itself...
Ah, technology!
New Contributor

The problem seems to have stopped...Rather than reinstalling GoToMyPC, I uninstalled a program for email access which was causing pop-ups requesting a Workspace login -- over and over and over, so that the windows were stacking up (behind the work I was doing). Eventually, it would cause a crash.
At least, I'm guessing that's it, since the problem has stopped happening.