cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VRLDO
Contributor

Chat does not show new messages once you copy from the chat and paste into another application

Hi - two of our teammates have experienced this...during a webinar, we run a separate chat in another application (Microsoft Teams) that we copy and paste GoTo messages into so that the team can decide who answers the question or if we need to table it. We keep our team chat separate so that the GoTo chat isn't full of our back-and-forth messages. Once they copy and paste from GoTo into Teams, new messages do not show up in the GoTo chat. They discovered a workaround...when they click "Pop Out" to separate the windows in the interface, wait a few seconds, and then merge the windows back, that takes care of the issue. However, they shouldn't have to do that to fix the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: Chat does not show new messages once you copy from the chat and paste into another application

@VRLDO Thanks for outlining this experience.

I'm not entirely sure what is going on, I tried running a Training and then cutting and pasting a chat into Slack, but I wasn't seeing the chat messages disappear after. 

For the two members who are experiencing this, what type of hardware and OS are they on? Is this always the experience? How long has this been going on ? 

To clarify, they can see the Chat window itself, but it doesn't populate?  Are they able to see their own chats? 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
VRLDO
Contributor

Re: Chat does not show new messages once you copy from the chat and paste into another application

OK I have some additional information, and I think it's actually working as intended...

What they said is that initially the chat "auto-scrolls" meaning as chats come in, you constantly see the latest chat at the bottom of the tab and the older chats disappear from the top of the tab. But if you "leave" the chat tab and click on something else (in their case the Teams window) and come back, then you have to manually scroll. I noticed that when I produce webinars, as I move back and forth between the People and Chat tabs to check for issues, I have to scroll through the chat to catch any questions. I personally have never noticed an "auto-scroll" because I'm constantly checking multiple tabs. (These teammates are new and just learning GoTo.)

Also, when you return to the Chat tab any private messages have a message that displays that it's a private message and you have to click on it to show the private messages.

In answer to your other questions, we use Windows 11 and are using the GoTo app,  and they are new so it's always the experience for them.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@VRLDO thanks for the additional information.

I will monitor chat behavior during my next chat-filled meeting. One thought is to use two monitors.  They could leave the chat window open in flex mode and keep it out front. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training