cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcipNJTPA
New Contributor

Panelist cannot Join GoToWebinar Session...Firewall Block

Good Morning,

I am hosting a Symposium on GoToWebinar and one of my panelist's Firewall blocks GoToWebinar.  He works for a very large technology company and said it will takes weeks for an approval to come through.  I want them to participate in our symposium.  Is there a way they can simply use a phone number to join?  All I have for them from my system administrator is a web link.  Is there a phone number link for a panelist?   I am meeting with them tomorrow to come up with a participation solution. 

Thank you,

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Panelist cannot Join GoToWebinar Session...Firewall Block

There is a phone number and access code that Panelists can use. This means the Panelist can call in to the webinar using only a telephone and be able to hear everything and speak to the webinar audience.

WARNING:  You cannot mute this person nor remove them from the webinar.  You do not even know they are connected to the webinar unless you hear them actually speaking.

If this person forgets they are connected, then you still hear every noise coming from their location.

What if this person shares the phone number and access code by forwarding the email you sent?  If this happens, then anyone who has this phone number and access code can connect to your webinar, speak at will, and you can do nothing about it, short of ending the webinar for everyone.

Here is where to find this special phone number and access code.

In the Dashboard at gotowebinar.com, navigate to this particular webinar. In the Settings section of the webpage, you see a phone number in the AUDIO section, and then just below that you see an Access Code for the Panelist.  That phone number and Access Code will give anyone unrestricted speaking access to the webinar.

The only time I have used this feature is with a Panelist who I know will not abuse the high level of  privilege they are given.  And then only as a last resort.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

There is a phone number and access code that Panelists can use. This means the Panelist can call in to the webinar using only a telephone and be able to hear everything and speak to the webinar audience.

WARNING:  You cannot mute this person nor remove them from the webinar.  You do not even know they are connected to the webinar unless you hear them actually speaking.

If this person forgets they are connected, then you still hear every noise coming from their location.

What if this person shares the phone number and access code by forwarding the email you sent?  If this happens, then anyone who has this phone number and access code can connect to your webinar, speak at will, and you can do nothing about it, short of ending the webinar for everyone.

Here is where to find this special phone number and access code.

In the Dashboard at gotowebinar.com, navigate to this particular webinar. In the Settings section of the webpage, you see a phone number in the AUDIO section, and then just below that you see an Access Code for the Panelist.  That phone number and Access Code will give anyone unrestricted speaking access to the webinar.

The only time I have used this feature is with a Panelist who I know will not abuse the high level of  privilege they are given.  And then only as a last resort.

rcipNJTPA
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.
BooABja
Active Contributor

Has there been another solution to this problem in 2,5 years? I have a bank customer who are not allowed to download anything. How can we make his presenter and panelist experience the best possible so we can host a webinar with him? Preferably being able to join online without having to download anything.

//Anna

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @BooABja,

Currently, anyone needing to present and share their screen must download and use the GoToWebinar desktop app. 

• If they do not need to share their screen the solution above can be used or they can join using our mobile app and join the conference call. 
  • If they have slides to be presented, they could provide them to you and you could present them from your computer while they speak. 

The next generation of GoTo Webinar which is currently being developed and is in BETA does support Organizers, Panelists and Attendees joining in Chrome or MS Edge. Currently only standard webinars are supported and there are other limitations that you should be aware of before using the BETA version for a live event. To learn more about the BETA please review this post first, and I recommend hosting some test webinars before making a decision as the experience is different. 

(updated original response with new info- Glenn D)

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training