After 7 DAYS OF TROUBLESHOOTING an outlook random disconnect issue., I have determined that the LogMeIn software is causing the disconnects on my Outlook. I can find nothing about anyone talking about this. But clearly this is the case for me. This is a major ssue and be warned.. This is outlook 2010 x64 connecting to Exchange 2016 privaet server. Has anyone ever heard of or seen this ?
I'm not aware of any conflicts with Central intalls and Outlook. Does this happen on any other hosts? How did you determine that LMI was causing the issue?
I am still not 100% sure. But, basically the issue started happening when I installed LogMeIn to the host. And if I remove LogMein, the issue seems to go away. Outlook will just randomly say trying to sconnct. I tried un-isntalling, re-isntalling, rebuilding profile, fine tuning registry settings, hardcoding DNS, even messing with MTU on the ethernet. Could not get this thing to work and I have done a lot of outlook troubleshooting over the years.
I did get a wireshark capture of the event. I have not gone through it yet. But, I did determine that its actually not an outlook issue. The machine itself cant make any https connections to any intranet host - i.e. hosts on our server network, which is causing outlook to hang. However , it can still map drives and do other normal things. I just uninstalled LogMeIn and the issue appears to have gone away. But, I have to wait some hours to confirm.