cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajpriebe
New Contributor

Client app gives error and then loops

Currently, if we try to log on with the client app, a pop up box says, "Could not connect. Check your internet connection and try again."  All computers are online and connected.  After dismissing the error, the app seems to fall into an infinite loop.  The circle spins and I can't click on anything within the app.  I can use the file menu to quit the app.  

Other than actually being connected, what should I be checking for "internet connection" and why does this error send the app into a tailspin?

Last week we could work around it by logging in on a browser and accessing the remote computer that way. I am not sure if password settings got messed up or if it is something else, but that option doesn't work anymore either.  Between the initial problem with the app and today, we have been added to another account to access an office computer.  I am not sure if being added to another account contributed to the online access problems or not. 

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Client app gives error and then loops

Hi @ajpriebe, welcome to the community.

"Could not connect. Check your internet connection and try again." means that the software is unable to connect to our servers, this can be caused by a change in your local network, an issue with an ISP you are being routed through or a service disruption on our side. This support article covers what needs to be allowed through a local firewall for our services to work: Allowlisting and GoTo

Since you are able to connect through the web browser and we are not experiencing any service issues currently, I would start by reviewing our Allowlist and making sure that our software is not being blocked. The reviewing the debug logs may also help: Where do I find client app debug logs?  Note: You may need to enable debug logging in the Client Preferences first. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
ajpriebe
New Contributor

I've looked at the allowlisting article.  Even with firewalls turned off, I am getting this error.  Was the allowlisting information supposed to be for the client or the host?

Regarding debug logs:  I used the linked article and turned on debug logs.  I still don't see the logs.  Is toggling this feature "on" actually just sending logs somewhere?

I didn't mention it before, but maybe it's relevant.  The computer using the client app is a Mac.  The host computer is a PC.  

Finally, is there a phone number I can call to get help?  It seems that there used to be, but now I had the option of the community boards or an email. 

Thanks again.  

GlennD
GoTo Manager

• The information in the Allowlisting article is for both client and hosts. 
  • Once you enable debug logging the client will begin to generate them and then you will see log files available locally.  It may take 15+ minutes to generate anything, you could try exiting and reopening the client and then try to login again to see what is captured.
  • Mac OS Privacy and Security settings are typically more of an issue for a host as we need permission to access the HD, record the screen, etc
  • To contact our toll-free support click on Contact Support which is displayed on the side of all of our support site articles

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training