cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
element6
New Contributor

Why does LogMeIn Pro not uninstall? LMI Control Panel, bloatware, services left behind

No offense to any of the community users who are just here to help fellow users. My complaints are with the developer and their application only.

I had a feeling this application would be full of bloat and garbage when I was forced to use it by one of my customers. This particular customer uses it due to (quote unquote) "HIPAA compliance" which I find funny given the issue at hand here compromises data.

What is the deal with the LogMeIn control panel service that installed itself during the installation of the LogMeIn Pro Client?

This app does nothing for me and I am assuming does nothing for most customers in their need to use the client (and only the client). My pro account has no license to run the LMI server, I have no reason to run one anyway, and finally; it installed the Control Panel as a service to run on every Windows startup only to nag me to tell me that "Setup is not complete" due to the fact that when I log into it with my Pro account it explicitly tells me I don't have a license to apply to this PC.

SO WHY FORCE INSTALL THE F*&^%@#G APPLICATION AND SERVICE IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

I can't exit the stupid thing. Can't easily prevent it from running at startup. Can't uninstall it because your uninstaller doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

systray.png

And finally; where is the uninstaller for "Control Panel"? I uninstalled Client cleanly using the uninstaller from Win 10 Settings -> Apps & Features. Restarted the system because the stupid LMI Guardian and Control Panel services were still sitting there running and guess what? Both still running. Still configured to run at startup under services and msconfig.

Thanks, now I can have fun manually removing the leftover services, bloat, files, and registry entries. This is exactly why Windows is so unreliable and erratic.. devs who release applications full of bloat that leave behind tons of registry entries, a useless set of services, and a couple folders full of files.

LMI_leftover_Bloat.JPG

Not that I gaf, but I don't see how this can qualify as HIPAA certified. Not with the junk I found in various folders that was left behind.

1 REPLY 1
element6
New Contributor

Re: Why does LogMeIn Pro not uninstall? LMI Control Panel, bloatware, services left behind

Fixed completely by restoring the system to a full backup from 3/2/20 although I did note the ways to manually uninstall the software, which has to be done via a command line switch that logmein doesn't have the regular uninstaller use when you decide to uninstall the normal way.

I will have to be more weary of HIPAA certfied bloatware as well as anything from LogMeIn.

To get around the trouble of using this software, I downloaded "LogMeIn Client (USB drive)" to my disposable Windows 10 Pro VM (my cesspool of a sandbox), installed to a blank USB drive, which I passed through to the VM, since the installer doesn't let you simply extract the files where you want them.. even in the "portable" edition. I then copied the folder, LogMeInIgnition, from the USB root dir to where I wanted it on my VM/Sandbox and I can just run LMIIgnition.exe whenever I need to use this rubbish utility.