Forum Discussion

Former Member
5 years ago

Logmein Antivirus firewall blocking network printing

Has anyone else run into this and is there a way to resolve? We use IP based printing and after installing Logmein Antivirus (with firewall enabled in the policy), we've experienced issues with prin...
    5 years ago

I had a problem with network printers also. It was only some of the locations we manage, not all.

To get ours to work, I tried some things: editing group policy AD (for domain computers) and local GP for non-domain. I added firewall rules into there for the IP ranges needed and ports etc.

I also realised the machines failing were on network connections set as "Public". I used a powershell script and the LMI One2Many feature to change all the network connections to "Private". This was only on the machines not on the AD domain. Luckily in our case, we name all the network adapters on machines the same "Broadband" because we have 2 network cards in use and need to differenciate.

Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias Broadband -NetworkCategory Private
    Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias OtherNetwork -NetworkCategory Private

After making these changes, it's all fine.

Not sure if the Windows Firewall Group Policy rules are having any effect though as LMI seems to manage to firewall. I could easily test by blocking something on GP and see if it takes effect.