Forum Discussion

cdavis714
Active Contributor
7 years ago

MacOS Mojave Privacy Setting Causes Chicken or Egg Dilemma

Recently installed the latest version of MacOS as of 20180924 (Mojave) on a test laptop. The first issue I have noticed is that when connecting to this client for the first time, it will not allow the "technician" to control the computer until a privacy setting has been modified. 

The main problem with this is, the privacy setting modification required admin rights... which only the technicians in my situation have!

As of now, it seems like one of our technicians will have to modify this in-person on each computer, which is not practical since many computers are remote.

• All,

As the OP, I appreciate everyone's feedback over the past year (in two days...) on this issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this solution yet, but I believe I've (finally) figured out something that works... at least for me. 

New Computer:

• When setting up the new Mac (with Mojave), install GoToAssist Unattended as usual.
      • Note that after the install, you'll notice nothing new show up in the Privacy settings... and it would only show up when trying to connect later on and control.
    • To get ahead of this, navigate to the privacy settings accessibility window
    • Separately, in Finder, navigate to 

/Library/Application\ Support/GoToAssistRemoteSupport/GoToAssist\ Customer.app/Contents/Helpers

• Find the file, "g2ax_launchagent_customer"
    • Click and drag that file into the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" window.
      • Note that this needs admin, but if you're performing the install of unattended support then that would be expected regardless.

Existing Computer - Mojave Upgrade:

• Follow the same steps as above for a new computer, skipping the install of GoToAssist Unattended (assuming it's already installed)
    • After adding the file to the accessibility window, continue to upgrade to Mojave

At this point, the computer is ready to be given to the user. You should now be able to use GoToAssist and control the computer. 

GlennD
    GoTo Manager

Hi,

Yes, this new security feature being introduced by Apple is going to create some extra work initially. If you decide to upgrade clients to Mojave, you will need to make sure someone is present at the Mac to give the various applications permission. 

LRP
      Active Contributor

Also cannot type password on sign-in screen on Mojave & Release 1610.

Could do it on Release 1599.

Tried from Windows GTA Expert & iPhone GTA.

Regards,

LRP

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

Hi LRP

Just to confirm;

• The Mac was already running Mojave and you had been connecting to it using build 1599 successfully?
        • You had already gone through the new Mojave security prompts and allowed GTA-RS?
        • After the Unattended Mac updated to build 1610 you can still connect but are unable to login because it won't let you enter the password?

Through the manage devices in your account, you can switch the Macs device group back to build 1599 and see if it will let you enter your password. I'll report this to the team.

• Hi there,

Can you be a bit more specific with what privacy setting you modified? We are seeing this same issue on our end, but I'm not sure what you changed.

Thank you!

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

shultzm  At the Mac work station itself: 

1. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu in the top-left
      2. Click on Security & Privacy
      3. Go to the Privacy tab and click Accessibility on the left menu
      4. Check the GoToAssist Expert app, RescueAssist app, or the Rescue applet
      5. Save the change

This should resolve the issue, although they may need to re-launch and/or re-download the app and start it again.

John4111
        Active Contributor

So I'm having this issue on a remote user's mac I'm trying to support, should I add GotoAssist Customer (XXXX)?  When I do it appears as g2ax_starter_customer in the list but no keyboard.  There is no GotoAssist Expert on this unattended install.

Thx

EKKG
    Active Contributor

Haven't bothered too much with this lately, too busy. Today I setup a new iMac in my office that has Mojave 10.14.4. I downloaded the unattended installer from the GoToAssist website and installed it on the iMac.

The install was sucessful and when I updated "My Unattended Computers" the iMac in question was there.

I initiated a connection from my computer and a dialog box appeared on the iMac, I clicked "accept" and the message came up "g2ax_launchagent_customer" would like to control this computer using accessibility features. Grant access to this application in Security & Privacy preferences, located in System Preferences. I followed through on those instructions but I will not allow me to control the computer. When I ended the session from my computer, it will not end on the iMac, had to force quit. At this point, I uninstalled the Unattended Support and tried to connect via fastsupport.com. I tried with Safari, Firefox and Chrome, I get the following message, "The download failed" Unfortunately, the GoTo Opener wasn't able to start GoToAssist. Failed to download the required application from our servers. Please restart the download or contact Global Customer Support at http://link.logmeininc.com/get-help. Just to make sure it wasn't something going on with GTA, I went to fastsupport.com and connected to one of my PC's.

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

Yeah EKKG  --  That is more of a complete failure from several angles.  If you want to create a case with Customer Support when you are next at that computer, then they can fully document that Mac environment to figure out where the issues are coming from.

Michael M
        New Contributor

Any futher word on this issue? I am unable to control my client's Macs running Mojave—which is a bigger portion  of my clients every week! I'd just jump to RescueAssist, but as has been pointed out in other threads, it is not quite up to GTA in terms of functionality. 

• I upgraded two Mac Pro desktops to Mojave (10.14). Gotoassist is 4.5 Build 1610.

There is a massive delay to allow me to move mouse and type in login password. Delay is as slow as 5 or more minutes. One Mac is using T1 line.

Can we fix this issue? Thank you.

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

Sorry abou that yellowhammer ,

Did you also get the change to give those Macs a full reboot sometime after the update?

yellowhammer
        New Contributor

Yes, I rebooted a few times. Uninstalled and reinstalled GTA a few times too. Still the same.

Out of 4 Mac Pros, 2 of them misbehave this way. The others work but take too long for me to remotely connect. Up to 5-10 minutes.

cdavis714
    Active Contributor

All,

As the OP, I appreciate everyone's feedback over the past year (in two days...) on this issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this solution yet, but I believe I've (finally) figured out something that works... at least for me. 

New Computer:

• When setting up the new Mac (with Mojave), install GoToAssist Unattended as usual.
      • Note that after the install, you'll notice nothing new show up in the Privacy settings... and it would only show up when trying to connect later on and control.
    • To get ahead of this, navigate to the privacy settings accessibility window
    • Separately, in Finder, navigate to 

/Library/Application\ Support/GoToAssistRemoteSupport/GoToAssist\ Customer.app/Contents/Helpers

• Find the file, "g2ax_launchagent_customer"
    • Click and drag that file into the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" window.
      • Note that this needs admin, but if you're performing the install of unattended support then that would be expected regardless.

Existing Computer - Mojave Upgrade:

• Follow the same steps as above for a new computer, skipping the install of GoToAssist Unattended (assuming it's already installed)
    • After adding the file to the accessibility window, continue to upgrade to Mojave

At this point, the computer is ready to be given to the user. You should now be able to use GoToAssist and control the computer. 

EKKG
      Active Contributor

Today I had a customer call for some maintenance. He had GoToAssist Customer 1599 installed on an iMac running Mojave 10.14.6. He opened the app and I logged in without a problem and was able to move the mouse and do everything I wanted to. I knew that I would need to restart, so I installed unattended support.

While I was still connected with my attended session I tried to connect via he unattended. It connected very fast and offered the dialog box to accept or decline the connection. I accepted the connection and was able to see the screen on the unattended session, it immediadatley directed me to allow access via the Security control panel. I opened it and the g2ax_lauchagent_customer was already in "Allow the apps below to control your computer". I unlocked and put a check mark on it, then closed System Prefs. Cannot move the mouse, restarted iMac.

After the restart, the iMac showed as offline, so I called the customer, had them log me back in via 1599. Once I logged back in the iMac did show as online, I initiated the connection but still cannot move the mouse in Unattended. The one on top is the Unattended, I know this doesn't really help, but it's my experience today.

MoisiePants
        Active Contributor

EKKG wrote:

Once I logged back in the iMac did show as online, I initiated the connection but still cannot move the mouse in Unattended.

Hi:

How long did you leave it before giving up? My suspicion is that it would have started working after ~10 minutes...

smarin820
    Active Contributor

I recently had to connect to a Mac which is using MacOS Catalina. I can connect to it and see everything but I cannot control the Mouse or Keyboard. I have tried from app as well as RescueAssist. Anyone else have this problem?

smarin820
      Active Contributor

Update: I cannot connect to the client (unattended) at all unless the user accepts, then it will just allow me to view only. This is for both the MacOS Expert Client and with RescueAssist.

canorton3

Has anyone been able to solve this? I have the same issue with Logmein using client version  4.1.7394 (PlugIn: 1.0.2424) on a MacBook Pro running 10.15.3 attempting to connect to an iMacPro running 10.15.3. I cannot get mouse or keyboard input to function on the host computer.