Forum Discussion

JWJ
12 years ago

Customer participation in Change/Release Management

I work in the IT department in a company of 250+ users (customers) We have a an internal policy on requesting Software implementation (Change management) or updates/patches (Release Management).

The process flow we have adapted is as follows:

A Change/release request comes from one of our customers.

Certain key Customers are notified of the change/release request based on what it will affect, they enter there notes with any concerns.

A member of the support team then approves the request and then its assigned to a tech to plan out the build.

Once the build is complete and ready for testing, the customer is the one that does the testing and reports back to us.

Techs update the change/release request accordingly and once testing has been completed its pushed into production.

We currently have 5 Service desk accounts for our IT support team and the problem I’ve run into with regards to change/release management is that our customers cant create them, get notifications about them or even see the status. As a result we have to use workarounds like using indecent tickets to track and notify end users, which is not really efficient nor does it flow well in the execution process.

This is a feature my department and I imagine others, would benefit greatly from as we currently have to use SharePoint forms to process these request.