Forum Discussion

DRC-WV
Active Contributor
3 months ago

Unattended access connecting into RDP sessions on Windows Server instead of to the console

We started having a problem yesterday where we were unable to connect to several unattended devices (all Windows Servers). I was only able to connect to 1 out of the 5 or 6 I tried. I had several of these clients reboot their servers last night and I rebooted my PC as well. The problem is the same this morning.  The devices show On-Line and I can try to connect, enter my Security Key, then click Connect Now and the screen just goes black and I never get anything to show up like a login screen. Clicking the Control+Alt+Delete button at the top of the console window does nothing either.  This was in the desktop app, so switched over to the web console in a browser and it behaved the same way on these devices. I logged out on this computer, went to an older Windows 10 PC and logged in there and same problem there.  Came back to my Windows 11 PC and eventually it did connect to 1 of these servers, but it connected me in with a user RDP session in progress, so once I realized what was happening I quickly disconnected to avoid interfering with him, but was on long enough to realize I was in an RDP session and not connected to the console session.  I now realize all of the servers I was unable to connect to yesterday and today have multiple RDP users logged in all day.  In the past, I have always been connected to the console not an RDP session.  And the 1 server I was able to connect to yesterday does not have any RDP users so guess that is why that one worked fine.  Seems like something has changed recently that is causing this. I tried contacting support but clicking that link takes you to a page saying "We're here to help" but there is no way to submit a support ticket that I could find or any other links on that page to click on. Is anyone else having a problem like that that seems to have just started very recently?  We have been using GoToResolve on these same servers since early December 2023 without ever having had this problem before yesterday.  Thanks!

GoTo_Robi
    28 days ago

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback and cooperation!

In a day or two, we will launch changes to support the VM and Terminal server cases and support the previous behavior:

• In case of a non-multi session environment, the GoTo Resolve session joins the running RDP session.
    • If multiple sessions are allowed, then we open the console session's screen (instead of today, where you join the latest running RDP session), so this will go back to the original logic.

Later this year we will enhance the functionality and you will be able to select among the running RDP sessions or open the console.

ChrisNeils
    New Contributor

We are having the same issues. Also a ton more issues as well...this latest version is absolute trash 

DRC-WV
    Active Contributor

I have been going back and forth with support for about 7 weeks now and am being told just this week, this is the "intended behavior" which now makes me wish we never would have switched from GoToAssist to GoToResolve.  Course now I worry if going back to GoToAssist, it might also have this same problem.  I do think GoToResolve works better in some regards than GoToAssist especially with transferring files, but this new RDP problem is a deal breaker for us.  If there is not a way around this, we are going to have to search for another solution and move away from GoTo altogether.  It took some effort to move all our unattended devices from GoToAssist to GoToResolve last December, and then for it to only work for 6 months usable on some of these servers, it has me thinking we may have to look at other options.

ChrisNeils
      New Contributor

Yes! You took the words right out of my mouth. GoToAssist was great and I hardly had any issues with it. The "features" of GoToResolve which we were sold on, dont work or are half assed and poorly implemented. If thats intended behavior that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I think we will start looking elsewhere also. 

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

Hi,

We are looking into this. Basic RDP support was added recently, but Server and Server Terminal are not supported yet.

SBrown42
      Active Contributor

If it is the 'intended behaviour' does that mean it hasn't been working properly for the last two years by connecting to the Admin session??  Logically you would want to connect to the Admin session and then use the Windows system to shadow the relevant RDP session.

DRC-WV
    Active Contributor

I agree with you in that if we could still connect to the console session as an admin, then we could still shadow an RDP user if needed or could also do an instant session on their local computer and then have them get into RD and show us something.  But here are 3 email replies below that I got back from them recently on this issue.

Thank you for your reply!  I understand, unfortunately as I had the understanding RDP was not officially supported until now so long ago. Seems with the must recent changes unfortunately the previous was intended to modify and this is the expected behavior, as I have being able to confirm with my support team.

Thank you for your reply! I'm not 100% as GoTo Assist does officially support, but if you wish I can transfer your case to my billing team so we can look forward to set up a trial or similar since you were a legacy customer from Assist, or also we can schedule a call to talk it during a phone call.

Thank you for your reply! I understand, I think a call will be more efficient to get this back to Assist to handle it via email with our billing may have a delay, so please let me know when we can schedule a callback, including date, time zone and time frame to call you, or if you need any immediately assistance, feel free to contact us anytime  since we have 24/7 assistance.