cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jason1111
Active Contributor

Painful! Remote Attended Connection

Hi

As a tech who frequently connects to home user computers remotely, I've been having a heck of a time starting a remote session with some of them using fastsupport.com

In fact, it has just taken me 34 mins to talk the customer through the process and in the end I had to talk them through uninstalling GTA customer which is no easy task since most of the home users I deal with are computer illiterate.

Here is a break down of the problems I've faced on a number of occasions.

• Customer has GTA installed from a previous attended support session.
  • After navigating to fastsupport.com they enter name / support key and click 'continue'
  • They describe green bar going across then message stating connecting to go to assist followed by 'connected to go to assist'.
  • Nothing happens on the GTA expert console.
  • Allow 5 mins to pass in case it's simply a delay, but still nothing progresses.
  • Talk customer through uninstalling GTA customer via control panel.
  • Try again from fastsupport.com and connection is established without issue.
There's obviously some kind of conflict going on with older versions of GTA that is already installed which prevents new connections.

This needs to be addressed as many of my remote home user customers are repeat customers.

I have also experienced this first hand when a customer has brought their computer in to me and I've tried to connect in the same way. Only a full unistall of GTA allows for a new connection.

Please can you look in to this.

Many thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Robert Feemer
Active Contributor

Re: Painful! Remote Attended Connection

What build are you on?
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Jason,

If it has been over a year since you connected to these clients, they most likely still have an older version of the software still on their system that has an expired certificate. The software will not be able to connect because of the certificate, which is why uninstalling is the only solution that allows them to join a new session.
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
jason1111
Active Contributor

Hi Glenn, thanks for getting back to me.

Would it not be possible to have the attended support client automatically update itself to the latest version periodicaly, or have the client they download again from fastsupport uninstall previous versions?

I really couldn't tell you if the last connection was over a year old.  
Bcshay
Active Contributor

Better yet have the applet removed when the session is ended. 
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Unattended Clients do this, but the Attended session software (if left on the client's computer), is inactive until the next support session. On the first tab of the Technician's Preferences, you can select to Uninstall the Client Software at the end of each attended session, this will not affect your Unattended computers at all.

jason1111
Active Contributor

Would prefer that not to happen as often there can be a follow up session and getting the client to simply click the desktop icon vs talking them through fastsuppport.com is gar preferable.
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Remember http://helpme.net is an alternative to fastsupport.com, some clients may find that easier to understand over the telephone.

jason1111
Active Contributor

Yeah it's not so much getting them to the website though trust me, I've had my fair share of folks who don't know what an address bar is lol!

Often the type of tasks I'm performing for home users is virus or malware removal and an infected or hijacked browser makes starting a support session via the site difficult, if not impossible.  It will either redirect them or refuse to download the GTA client. Infected browsers are a big problem for me.

I appreciate this is something most remote support services will suffer from, but it's frustrating when a regular customer who has the GTA attended software installed, can't just click the icon and enter a key.

It's one of the reasons I've requested you guys look into providing a stand alone, assisted installer that's not tied in to a session. Something that could be emailed or installed in my office when I have their computers in for repair.

It would also be something I would install on every one of my business client's PC's to make providing remote support a simple click away.  I'm not keen to install the unassisted client on their PC's for security reasons and besides, I'm limited to 100 on my account 😞
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Completely understand and agree, that's actually why the attended software was originally left installed by default. Up until the certificate expiring it actually worked well for a number of years. The team has been steadily working through the outstanding issues and requests, I will try to find out where this falls in the road map.