cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phil Ellis
New Contributor

Re: Painful! Remote Attended Connection

We've had similar problems with customers that are totally incapable of just getting to a website and installing software. Elderly customers mainly, so my technicians asked me to create a solution. Here is what I did, this isn't intended for public consumption so you'll have to fill in some variables so to speak.
First the description:
Basically we make a wrapper around the unattended installer, the customer gets a dropbox link by email, they download the wrapper exe, the customer enters a 3 digit code, that then pulls the unattended installer from Citrix and installs it silently. It then shows the computer name to the end user. They read that to you over the phone.
You check your unattended list, find the computer, perform your remote, when the remote is down while still in the session uninstall G2A (this does seem to work, it will disconnect you and then remove itself)
The customer can retain the wrapper exe for future use. (just remove the last 2 lines from the script)

On your G2A portal create an unattended installer download link, they're typically good for 500 installs.
Now copy that link. Here is the autoit code we use, autoit can (and should) be packaged into an executable and then shared on Dropbox. The 3 digit code is simply the current build number for G2A, if your on infrequent updates it won't change, if you get immediate new builds you'll have to keep up with it.

That should solve your problem, I have a few other G2A scripts as I got tired of asking for feature requests and not getting them, so I just had to roll my own. (Had a remote password change script, but they finally implemented that recently, the other one is a remote uninstall/reinstall to get rid of the legacy access codes)

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=y
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
$build = InputBox("Enter Key", "Enter the key that the technician gives you")
InetGet("https://download.citrixonline.com/manual.html?productName=g2ax_customer&startAsService=true&...; & $build & "&manualDownloadFile=g2ax_customer_combined_dll_full_win32_x86_en_US.exe&startMode=SetupUnattendedSilent&setupToken=*****************&locale=en_US&manualDownloadFileAlias=g2a_rs_installer_company_name&egwHostname=egw1.express.gotoassist.com&egwPort=****&egwPort=**&egwPort=***&egwIp=**********", "g2afcs.exe")
Run("g2afcs.exe")
$pc = @ComputerName
MsgBox(0, "Computer Name", "Your computer name is " & $pc)
Sleep(30000)
FileDelete("g2afcs.exe")
Use at your own risk! Good luck.
Barry Wiebe
New Contributor

With our GoToAssist software, we select 'uninstall after session' and it is still keeping the software on the user's PC. So the next visit we have with that PC remotely, we have to go in via VPN software on the PC to uninstall the software before we can use GoToAssist again with the user. Just like some find it aggrevating walking user's through uninstallations, try getting a novice or intermediate user going using VPN.
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Hey Barry,
We're not aware of any issues right now with the GoToAssist Remote Support Uninstaller tool.  Could you specify which OS are being affected there?

DT111
Active Contributor

Glenn,

I see this is from 2015 and yet, it still is a major issue! I am currently on GTAE 4.3 Build 1575 and this happens quite frequently! I have to do what he originally said, uninstall the GTA Customer using Programs/Apps and Features. For a product I pay for, this is not something I should have to constantly do.  

Can this be looked at more closely and a solution found? I called in to Support recently and they 'had never heard of this issue'. And then told me to go to the community, so here I am 🙂 

Would the log files help you figure any of this out? That was the other suggestion the Support person gave me, gather the logs and zip them up for the developers. 

Thanks,

Adrian_I
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @DT111,

Does this happen with all of your clients or just some?  How long has it been since you last connected to them?  Are these attended or unattended sessions.  

Log files would be helpful if it is something that can be duplicated every time with a frequently used client.  if it is hit & miss, or if it works properly going forth after the uninstall / reinstall has taken place, it would be a lot more difficult to isolate.

DT111
Active Contributor

Hello @Adrian_I

It does not happen every time. We have a client base of about 200, so I don't know for sure when I last connected with them. It happens on Windows 7, 8, & 10.  It is all with the Attended sessions and they go thru FastSupport.com as the original poster had said.  Even trying the standalone Attended App Download does not work. I am pretty sure I have seen it happen even when the version of GTA Customer they have installed matches the GTAE version I am running. 

I don't believe it has anything to do with GoToOpener as once I have the end user uninstall GTA Customer and go back to FastSupport.com, the session begins right away. 

Uninstalling GTA Customer is NOT a viable solution. There is a bug that needs fixed and has needed fixed for years now.  

If you can't figure this out, then maybe it would be best to just force an uninstall and re-download of the GTA Customer application every time an end user goes to FastSupport.com. 

Or everytime  an end user goes to FastSupport.com and enters in the key, it would just overwrite whatever files they might have on their systems to give it a 'fresh' install. 

Thanks,