cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gregg LaPore
New Contributor

"Reboot in safe mode" doesn't always reconnect under Windows 10

Occasionally, we need to reboot our customer's computers into Safe Mode. For years, the "Reboot into Safe Mode" has worked 99% of the time.

Now with Windows 10, it can't reconnect about 50% of the time after a "Reboot into Safe Mode". From what we can tell on our end, the Windows 10 computer is not reconnecting with Networking on.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on the solution?

Best,
Gregg
18 REPLIES 18
Bcshay
Active Contributor

Re: "Reboot in safe mode" doesn't always reconnect under Windows 10

I also experience this issue but with a different remote control product. It seems as though this is a Windows 10 issue and not so much a GoToAssist Remote Support issue.
Gregg LaPore
New Contributor

Brenden, thanks for your reply. Hopefully there's a setting somewhere in Win10 that allows us or the user to change the behavior. It doesn't seem to be the rule for Win10 machines but definitely seems to affect a significant number of them.
Best,Gregg
Cloudeight
Active Contributor

In Windows 10, you cannot reboot into safe mode with networking if you are on wifii...try it on your own computer and you will see this is the case. If you, or your customer, are hardwired/connected via Ethernet you will be connected - that is why you find sometimes you stay connected, other times not. We have found this to be a nuisance as well, and have tried every way we can to boot into safemode and be connected wifi with no resolve. Have not seen anything from Microsoft on this either and seems to fall on deaf ears there. So, its a Microsoft flaw, not Citrix.
Gregg LaPore
New Contributor

Cloudeight - Thank you. That makes perfect sense as to why it's so random. Best, Gregg
Cloudeight
Active Contributor

You are welcome. We did over a hundred sessions on Windows 10 when it first came out before we were able to figure this out. So far, though, we have been able to do all our repair in normal mode even though we relied on safemode for many sessions that had virus/malware. Windows 10 seems to be a great OS .. my favorite since XP!

I do a test on my own computer about once a month to see if I am online when booting into safe mode, in case it changes, so if I see a change, I will post here. Also, I tried a lot of the "fixes" I read on tech forums to boot into safe mode and be connected, and not a single one has worked.

Glad we could help solve the mystery at least as to why some did connect and some did not; we were in the same boat wondering about that one!

Darcy
Fred Marshall
Contributor

I've been seeing such things lately.  I don't use Safe Mode that often so the opportunities are few.  I believe that all of the computers are Ethernet / wired.
I can't say for sure but it seems that the problem is worse *coming out* of Safe Mode.  The reboot doesn't "seem to finish" at my end and I have no way to regain control.  When I ask someone local to look at it, I recall them saying that it was sitting at a Windows login prompt.

Is this a known issue and is there a solution?
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Fred,
Depending on your client, you should still reconnect after they confirm their user credentials.  If this were an unattended machine, then you should have the ability to log in yourself through GoToAssist.

Tc Darcy
New Contributor

The problem with Windows 10, is a reboot to safe mode does not connect your wireless network/internet unless you do it manually once you are actually logged in to windows safe mode. For quite some time, even if you logged in to safe mode and tried to connect manually, it wouldn't without a lot of tweaks once logged in, but now you can connect but only if you do it manually.

This makes it very difficult for Citrix users as the machine has to have someone there to do this, if connecting wireless. Once the customer does the manual wireless connection, you can then connect to them. If we have a basic user, this goes right over their head. For those customers who can do the manual wireless connection, we setup an unattended first, then we boot them to safe mode, disconnect on our end, and wait about 5 minutes or so for them to get connected wirelessly, then we can connect.

If the customer/machine can be plugged directly in to ethernet, this is not an issue.

It should be noted that even though we setup safe mode boot (via msconfig) to include option for network, it still has to have a manual connection to the network once logged in to safe mode. All prior versions of windows worked fine booting into safe mode but not Windows 10. This is not a Citrix issue; it is a Microsoft issue.

I just checked this morning again, to see if this has changed, but still requires the manual connection to the network/wireless at the remote machine. We follow this closely as we miss the ability to log in to diretly via safe mode, but fortunately, for most issues we are able to work in Windows 10 without safe mode.

Darcy
Fred Marshall
Contributor

Just to be clear:
THE COMPUTER IS WIRED and it *is* and issue.
There is no screen presented remotely that would allow a manual login.
This is COMING OUT of Safe Mode and into normal mode.