cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtretina
Contributor

GTW has been extremely unreliable.

My state agency has two webinar licences and we've not been able to either start a webinar or if we can get it started then attendees aren't able to join.   We've tested every avenue. Not using VPN - of course, unistalling. etc.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions because actually talking to someone at GoTo/Logmein is impossible? I was on hold with support for 45 minutes.

We're having better luck with GoToMeeting and tried to contact sales to increase seats on one of GoToMeeting licenses (we have 4) again on hold........

9 REPLIES 9
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: GTW has been extremely unreliable.

Sorry you are having problems. We have been experiencing a few small GoToWebinar issues over the last two weeks ourselves but nothing like you have mentioned.

So you at least got the GoToWebinar started one time. How do you start your GoToWebinar?  Do you go to GoToWebinar.com and start it, or do you start the GoTo application/program on your computer and then start the webinar?

What computer platform are you using to start/Organize the webinar?  Windows or Mac computer or laptop?

After the webinar program loads on your computer and you see the GoToWebinar Control Panel, did you see the Start Webinar button?  It is not always obvious the first time through.

You "start" the webinar by having the software load on your computer, then once you have done that you have to "start" the webinar.  There are two "starts."  Between the two starts you can have Panelists and Organizers chat using the GoToWebinar software without the regular Attendees hearing the conversation.

Did you get to the second "start" button?

You may have done all this. I am just guessing at possibilities.

nabila
New Contributor

I'm experiencing same problem here... my company and partner webinar session cannot start AT ALL. One and half hours before the session is still fine cus I can still start a dry run webinar. But 30 minutes before the session (4.00 PM GMT+8)  suddenly I can't practice nor start the webinar!!!!! It said the connection failed check the interent. But we tried it with 5 different laptops (same laptop we use for dry run, high connection) and it says the same thing!!

I really need customer support to reply, really. Our partner demand answer as we lost many sales opportunity and GotoWebinar isn't cheap either. And I can't get even speak with the customer service :'(

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @nabila

There should be no issue with joining or hosting webinars, though we have noted several connection problems through the internet backbone itself.  Depending on your internet service provider, I would test an alternate network connection next to see where the problem lies. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Former Member
Not applicable

In 4 years we almost never had a problem with GoToWebinar until COVID-19 hit.  

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

tomhoffner - Do you have a specific GoTo problem to report here?  If so, we will try to help you. 

Former Member
Not applicable

Thank you for asking!

On Thursday, March 19 we cancelled two afternoon webinars because we could not login.  In the healthcare business this affects resident care.

The following week, some of our "customers" could not login to register for our webinars.  Also that week, I tried repeatedly to login to open a webinar and could not.  I eventually learned to login very early and stay logged in, well before the beginning of the webinar. 

This week I was unable to run reports, and was unable to download recorded webinars.  I subscribe to Alerts and saw that all of these issues were logged, investigated and eventually repaired.

As I mentioned, I have almost never had a problem with GoToWebinar until practically to the day, that LogMeIn advertised their free tool kits.  

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

For the last few weeks I have noticed a slowdown in the Internet in the afternoons. I am on the East coast of USA and notice the slowdown about noon when California is waking up and hitting the Internet.  Webinars in the morning here usually run fine. In the afternoon we have more connection problems. Our Attendees are all on the East coast as well. 

I know that GoTo has been looking into this issue and adjusting their Internet connections, just like every other business, trying to get the best possible data flow on a overcrowded information superhighway.

I really don't think this problem is just because GoTo has been giving away their tool kits.  (I may be wrong.) Students across the world are now attending class via the Internet, most workers are working from home via the Internet, more people are storing and accessing their files in the cloud, online gaming is booming, sharing of cute cat videos has gone viral, and everyone is using the Internet to check up on their loved ones using audio and video, which are both very data-intensive.  IMHO Zoom is doing  a much more aggressive job of giving away and encouraging the use of free versions of their virtual meeting tools.  Zoom is probably more to blame for the Internet slowdown than GoTo.

I don't hear anyone complaining about traffic jams on the highways right now because most people are staying at home. 

We need a faster Internet to handle times like this when everyone is hitting the Internet really hard with data zipping everywhere. The Internet has become so commonplace, we expect it to be fast all the time, just like the water coming our of the sink faucet when we turn it on.  We take the water for granted as we do with the Internet.  We pay the monthly bill and expect it to happen.

Do we need to call our elected officials and ask them to raise our taxes so the Internet superhighway can be widened, so it can handle more traffic? 

I am glad to have GoTo as one of the tools in my tool belt.  No tool is perfect.  Even my hammer hits my thumb every now and then.

nabila
New Contributor

We have tested in 5 alternate network provider and it all didn't work. GotoWebinar Support is also very slow, I chat the agent, he cannot help , he give me support email (turns out already inactive) and suggest me to call. Calling is not an option in the current situation as I got held up for 1 hour. This is VERY BAD.

After searching for an answer by myself, I found an answer from this community from 2018 (https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/The-connection-failed-error-during-webinar-...).  It turns out the problem is because I didn't set my last name....LAST NAME. That is why I can't start my session. 100 participants just gone. THIS IS STUPID.  There's no warning at all about last name. This bug is very crucial and they should have removed the bug from a long time ago!!!!!!

mtretina
Contributor

Organizer Last name is not our problem.  Getting support is a lengthy process of waiting for at least an hour on hold. I waited for over 45 minutes on Wednesday then gave up. Yesterday, my boss waited for over an hour and eureka, someone answered.  He was on the phone for 3 hours with support testing various scenarios. Also, having others in our agency across the state testing too.

The problem hasn't been completely solved but we are closer. Our state IT agency ran an update recently and might have partially blacklisted GoTo.  We're hoping to have the whitelisting updated next week.

I do agree that  internet traffic has too many users and not enough bandwidth.  Let's all hope  & pray the crisis peaks soon and we can move back to normal.