cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKMcAnally

Virtual Event (PANELIST and PRACTICE SESSIONS?)

We are looking forward to using Virtual Events for the first time and appreciate attendee's having only one link rather than multiple to juggle.  As we are getting familiar with GoToEvent there is one question and one suggestion I would like to provide, so far: 

Question:  We use the practice feature quite a bit with GoToWebinar but that option does not seem to be available with Virtual Events.  If we start the session on some other day than when it is scheduled to occur for the practice will it still be available on the actual date of the live event?  

Suggestion:  When Panelists are added they receive an email with the join link for the session they are attached to present.  It would be a HUGE help to be provided access to their panelist links in Virtual Events as we are with the Organizer and Panelist links in GoToWebinar.  I anticipate having to delete panelists from workshops just to re-add them should they delete their email that has the link to the workshop.  That will be a logistical nightmare on the day of the event.  Please save me from that nightmare.  😎

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: Virtual Event (PANELIST and PRACTICE SESSIONS?)

Hi @MrSantos welcome to the GoTo Community.

This is correct, as noted in Glenn's post abovePractice mode is not available in virtual events currently, but you can safely start any of the scheduled webinars early as often as you need before the scheduled webinar date and time. To do this:

1. Select the virtual event and scroll to the Agenda & Sessions section.
  2. In the upcoming session, select the More icon then Start

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @MKMcAnally, welcome to the community.

Practice mode is not available in virtual events currently, but you can safely start any of the scheduled webinars early as often as you need before the scheduled webinar date and time. I am checking on the ability to see and resend Panelist join links.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

jasongumpert
Regular Visitor

As a veteran of running GTW webinars and now running our first virtual event, i would strongly discourage you from using this tool for anything other the simplest type of one-day event with a handful of sessions - and low stakes.

I have been shocked at GoTo's low standards for launching this product, leaving in it landmines that have thrown me for a loop and left me scrambling to keep my event from falling apart.  The biggest problems relate to your questions: 

1. There are no tools to help panelists after you have sent them an invitation. GTW emails are famous for landing in Junk or Promo folders in an inbox. But when panelists say they don't know how to join, you can't send them another link to join the session. You can't send them a reminder email. You may be able to achieve the same effect by removing the person and adding them back, but is that really a feature? 
  2. No tools for sending emails. They have literally hard coded a few basic emails into the platform and they will be sent to your panelists and attendees -- with the wording, format, and branding created by GoTo developers, and at the times they have pre-determined -- whether you like it or not. You can't shut them off, you can't edit them. They are going to your audience when GTW decides, so accept it. 
  3. Related to #2, if you have a multi-day event, good luck reminding your audience to come back another day. Make sure you are ready to use your own email service to send mailings out to the registrants so they don't forget. But even then, you can't remind them what link to use to join. Best I could figure was to remind them what the subject line was for the initial invitation email, then ask them politely to click through on that. 
  4. We've had complaints from viewers that simulive sessions did not play in full view. I have not fully confirmed this but I would not doubt that this doesn't work correctly.

In all, it appears GoTo has launched a product where they added interesting new multi-day, multi-session features but then added landmines in areas in which you thought you could trust them - admin tools for panelists and attendees. Do not use Virtual Events  unless you love the panicked feeling of having no control over your audience or your panelists. I am super disappointed that a product management team could see this as an acceptable standard when launching a new product. This is a beta product at best and has no business being pushed as a fully formed solution to paying customers. 

JeanB9344
Active Contributor

We are getting ready to host our first multiday virtual event. and was disappointed that many of the features for Meeting and WEbinar, like customized emails, attendees signing in early, etc are not available. I was told that a reminder for each of the daily sessions does go the registrants. Is that not the case?
KateG
GoTo Moderator

@JeanB9344 attendees register for the event and receive reminder emails 1 hour and 1 day before the start of the event. After registering for the event, they have the opportunity to add a session reminder to their calendar. 

MrSantos
New Contributor

I've been tinkering around and found that the practice feature, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be a thing in Virtual Events.
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @MrSantos welcome to the GoTo Community.

This is correct, as noted in Glenn's post abovePractice mode is not available in virtual events currently, but you can safely start any of the scheduled webinars early as often as you need before the scheduled webinar date and time. To do this:

1. Select the virtual event and scroll to the Agenda & Sessions section.
  2. In the upcoming session, select the More icon then Start