cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcatonoutpost
Active Contributor

LogMeIn Anti-virus Protected by an older version of antivirus software. Automatic update pending

Several of our clients are displaying the message in the LogMeIn Central portal "Protected by an older version of antivirus software. Automatic update pending."

LogMeIn AV Protected by older.png

When I compare AV versions on PCs, all PCs are running LogMeIn AV version 6.6.21.304.  This is the latest version according to the "What's New" page.

https://support.logmeininc.com/central/help#central-c-central-whatsnew

The PCs are Windows 10 PCs.  The PCs are running LogMeIn version 14072.

I have tried rebooting the PCs.  Initiating Updates manually from the client on the PCs.  Nothing works.

How can we resolve this issue?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: LogMeIn Anti-virus Protected by an older version of antivirus software. Automatic update pending

I apologize for the confusion there. 

If the affected machines have already gone through a full reboot, would you be able to gather logmeinavserver.log and logmein.log files from PCs where it didn't update?

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
pcatonoutpost
Active Contributor

Re: LogMeIn Anti-virus Protected by an older version of antivirus software. Automatic update pending

The PCs have been rebooted several times.  Again, it looks as though the AV is on the most current version.  But the portal just reports that it is not.  In terms of getting you the logs, how can I securely send you these?  Thanks.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Sorry for the delay.  You can contact Customer Support directly through this support page:  https://support.logmeininc.com/central/help/how-do-i-contact-support 

mbrady-cyber
Visitor

This is the standard answer we are getting as well.

I pay logmein thousands of dollars a year, and they cant even offer decent support for the antivirus client.

The logmein central is awesome, but why offer antivirus if you are not going to properly support it???

pcatonoutpost
Active Contributor

The message "protected by an older version of antivirus" randomly appears and disappears.  No rhyme or reason.  Clients now on the latest version of LogMeIn,  4.1.0.14148.  No change.  Customer support has not been able to assist me with this issue.  Stuck in limbo.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@mbrady-cyber  @mbrady-cyber   I apologize for the errors there, but I'm not aware of any known issues that would explain the behavior.  Have either of you been able to collect the referenced log files and create a case through Customer Support for an investigation?

pcatonoutpost
Active Contributor

Yes, I have opened a case but I have not received any reply back from support after submitting the logs. 

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@pcatonoutpost   I think I found your case, where there may have been a disconnect between the Support representative.   Could you check your email for their logs request, dated 11/13/20 ?  If not, simply call back in at your convenience when you have access to one of the affected machines so that we may gather the necessary information for a detailed investigation.

pcatonoutpost
Active Contributor

Eventually what I see is that the clients will display the following message:

LogMeIn AV Product is out of date 2.png

Often, it takes a while for this message to appear on the clients.  Normally, the "Protected by an older version of antivirus software" appears in the Central Admin console, not on the clients themselves.

When the client displays the "product is out of date message," I find the product version is as follows:

LogMeIn AV Product is Out of Date.png

If I manually initiate "Check for Updates," the AV status will go back to "green" once the new update has been installed.

The strange thing is that the product version is exactly the same after applying the update:

LogMeIn AV Out of Date Fixed.png

So I think what causes this problem is that the AV has a problem processing an update.  Computer goes offline, rebooted, etc. during an update.  The update might not be related to an AV version update at all as all of our clients have the same AV version.  More likely the update involves a definition update or something like this.  If a problem does occur when processing an update, the AV reports back that there is a problem processing the update.  Then, the Central Admin interface interprets this "couldn't install a definition" update as "the product version is out of date."

If the client is actually displaying the "product out of date" message, then  running the "check update" may fix this issue. 

Other times, I've found that manually running the "Check Update" does nothing.  Instead, I have to wait until the automatic "check update" process runs a couple times successfully.  Then,  clients' status changes from "Protected by an older version of antivirus software" to "Antivirus software updated" on their own in the Central Admin console.

In terms of calling support and collecting logs, this process never goes well.  I submitted a ticket with logs over a month ago and have not received a response despite repeated attempts to follow-up with them.  Moreover, log collection is tricky as we have our "Host Preferences" setup so that no one can make changes to the "Preferences."  Thus, the "Enable Debug" logging is greyed out.  We really need a better way of collecting log files.  Do you have a "log collection" tool that can be run?  This might help get support the information that they need.