cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Scripted Install of Adobe Reader 9.4

Ok, I've gotten AVG to deploy silently thanks to a script offered here by another user, but now I have a new hang-up.

I downloaded the Adobe customization wizard and extracted the Reader msi file, tweaked it for silent install and no desktop icons, no Acrobat.com, and no Air. 

What's the process to take those files and deploy them to a user? Installing adobe 9.4 requires a few files, namely AcroRead.msi and Data1.cab. If I use the "install or update software" option, I can only upload the MSI file. If I use the "Run a batch file or executable command" I can only upload the exe file(which isn't required if you're using MSI as the boostrapper.)

So, my thought was to use "Distribute Files" to transfer all the required files to the target PCs and then run some script to launch the MSI silently... Will that work? And how to I code the script assuming I want to put the files in a directory like C:\Adobe. And if I do that, can I see the success or failure of the installation like I can with the Install software option?

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Scripted Install of Adobe Reader 9.4

I have our Acrobat install files on a network-accessible drive and I created a "remote command" task to run a command-line executable:

msiexec /qn /i "\\<server share>\AcroRead.msi" TRANSFORMS="\\l<server share>\AcroRead.mst"

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Scripted Install of Adobe Reader 9.4

If you want to get more creative with where the files get installed, you may need to edit the MSI installer file and change some variables using a tool like ORCA or InstEd.