cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomtreas
New Contributor

Re: Start Menu Icons Small in Windows 10

Hey everyone!  I arrived at this thread when searching for this problem and using Splashtop Business... so apparently this isn't something the LMI is the culprit for.  I don't know what the solution is other than to make sure if you need to do remote access on a laptop that the display is active OR, in one case I had dual monitors connected via display port and then they were both turned off at night I had similar strange issues with the display and pointer accuracy.  Hope this helps!

Anon53115
Active Contributor

Re: Start Menu Icons Small in Windows 10 - Problem located, but no final solution

Things are becoming a bit clearer now.

This strange behaviour seems to be tied to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" that MS installs when there is no specific graphics driver installed (or Windows doesn't recognize the graphics adapter during installation).

On the local PC everything is fine, also when connecting via Microsoft-RDP or via LogMeIn with a local display attached.

Without local display the strange behaviour with LogMeIn (and only LogMeIn...) occurs, in addition you can't change display resolution via the LogMeIn symbol bar on top of the remote window.

Installed the latest Intel IGFX-Driver for the Intel P630 on the Fujitsu Primergy and everything works fine now.

I will check if this is the problem on the Win10 machines and come back and report.

jmb49
New Contributor

Re: Start Menu Icons Small in Windows 10 - Problem located, but no final solution

This also happen with VNC, we recently noticed it appears when using laptops with its cover screen closed. Think it has an effect onto the way display works. It's absolutely definitely not a LMI issue 🙂 FYI.

Tags (1)
imsadmin
New Contributor

I'm experiencing the same tiny start menu. I also can't see right-click submenus on taskbar items or PowerShell IDE (it shows as a white rectangle).  The PC has an Nvidia Quadro P1000 graphics card at 1680x1050 running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809. If I connect to another PC on the network and remote desktop from that to my machine I can see the menus fine.

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

@imsadmin  Do you also have a display for that HD attached and open / powered on?  If so, can you let us know if there are any driver updates for the graphics card / video driver there?

imsadmin
New Contributor

Yes, the display is currently turned off.

jmb49
New Contributor

If it is off, so the display won't be recognized as it acts as if it was not plugged ! Well, it's like a closed laptop cover.

The trouble has nothing to do with Display Adaptator drivers but with MS Gereric Display driver and/or the screen capacity  & allowed modes.

This rely on Win10 adapted modes detection.

lostwitness
Active Contributor

Hi again,

I'm in the process of rebuilding another workstation. I installed Windows, fully updated, installed all drivers, and BIOS is updated. I see that turning off or disconnecting the monitor causes this small icon menu issue. It's fine when I reconnect the monitor though.

This workstation is currently at its base Windows installation:

Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 20H2

NVidia Quadro P5000
Intel Xeon W-2133
32GB 2x16GB DDR4 2666MHz RDIMM ECC Memory

I'm hoping LMI has a work around. This kind of an annoying issue to deal with.

jmb49
New Contributor

Hi, not a LMI deal, Microsoft W10 (& other OS with same kernel) way of displaying.

lostwitness
Active Contributor

I get that but hoped LMI can work with MS on fixing or a workaround. My original post was from 2019 and since then other have had the same issue