Forum Discussion

dharrel
Active Contributor
10 months ago

Attendees must join through the desktop app to give remote control

Remote control under the old GoToMeeting was SO EASY.  Now it is SO HARD!  It looks like progress was made, and I actually (after holding my breath) was able to do some remote controlling.  Now I'm mostly told "Remote control is only available if presenters use the desktop app" when I hover over the "Control" icon.  But I'm sure the presenter IS using the desktop app (and not the browser).  I see the GoToMeeting app icon in their task bar.  

Please, please, make this as easy as it used to be - once and for all.  Then don't change it!  

Thanks!

• Hi dharrel,

If you are seeing that message it means that the attendee that you have made presenter joined through their web browser, so remotely control is not possible. 

When an attendee joins for the first time and they do not have the GoTo App already installed they may join through their browser (Chrome/MS Edge), but on the page that they see when they are joining is an option to install and join though the GoTo App. If they miss that queue, on the next screen where they enter their name and preview their webcam and audio settings there is another chance to switch to the desktop app.

dharrel
      Active Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply.  

My meeting partners join GoToMeeting via a web link in an invitation I create within GoToMeeting - something like: https://meet.goto.com/1234567890 .  I guess this means they "joined through their web browser", even if that leads to them running the GoToMeeting app.  Is that correct?  

So, this means that being able to control doesn't depend on them being in the GoToMeeting app, but how they get there?  Is that correct?  

I don't remember any such issues with the old GoToMeeting.  

My problem is it's hard to tell them to "install and join through the GoTo app" because I don't see that web page - only they do.  Similarly, I don't see the pre-join "preview" screen - only they do.  I only can see what's going on on their end once they have joined and made them presenter, and it sounds like then it's too late.  

What are the easiest instructions for me to give a meeting partner for joining my meeting if I want the option of being able to control their computer?  

Thanks.

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

In this situation, all that matters is if they have attended a GoTo Meeting previously and have the software installed already or not. 

• If they have the software already installed and click on a meeting link their browser will open and our GoTo Opener app will see the installed GoTo App and launch it, connecting it to your meeting.

• If they do not have GoTo App installed already and they click your meeting link their browser will open and they will see this screen first, which gives the option to download the GoTo App or continue in their browser

In your invitation, if you direct them to click on Download the app after they click on your meeting link their shouldn't be any issues.