Forum Discussion

arifali
GoTo Contributor
2 years ago

How to fix GoToMyPC host offline or connection issues

[Latest updates as of Jan-23-2023 1:30 PM EST ]

In order to provide more reliable and faster connections.  GoToMyPC is doing some major maintenance this weekend and needs support from you all. This change is aimed at increasing the connection speed and availability of your computers, but this one-time large-scale maintenance activity may cause about 5% of machines to go offline or not be connectable. Following is the remedy to get them back online and connectable.
  • Restart the GoToMyPC services on the host computer. Give it 5-10 minutes to come online and then try connecting.
  • If restarting the service does not resolve the issue, reboot the host computer. Give it 5-10 minutes to come online and then try connecting.
  • If both of the above have not worked the next option that can be tried is uninstalling and reinstalling GoToMyPC on the affected computer.
We understand that it's not the best experience and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused, however, we are looking forward to your support while we are upgrading our hardware capacity to serve you better.

[Old update posted on Jan-22-2023 2:22 PM EST ]
The below update is no longer valid and you do not need to try the IP address fix suggested below.  Thank you for being welcoming and supportive GoToMyPC customers. We appreciate your help and patience.

In order to provide more reliable and faster connections.  GoToMyPC is doing some major maintenance this weekend and needs support from you all.  

This change is aimed at increasing the connection speed and availability of your computers,
but this one-time large-scale maintenance activity may cause about 5% of machines to go offline or not be connectable. 

Following is the remedy to get them back online and connectable.

• Restart the GoToMyPC services on the host computer.
  • If restarting the service does not resolve the issue, reboot the host computer.
  • If neither restart of service or reboot resolve the issue,

We sincerely thank you for your trust in GoToMyPC, and for your support and patience in making GoToMyPC faster and more reliable through this maintenance. 

FAQ

Q: What this file does? can it harm my computer? 
A: The file can be be opened in any text editor and its contents can be verified/reviewed. 
It's a registry file which modifies only the GoToMyPC related registry value. 

Q: What exactly this registry files does?
A:  After this maintenance , you host computer needs to be reaching out to new ipaddress of GoToMyPC servers.  While 95% of host machines are already able to reach to new ipaddress, about 5% machines are still referring to old ipaddress, causing them to be offline or have connection issues.  Running this registry file will manually fix that issue by replacing old ipaddress with new.  and its all related to GoToMyPC registry settings. 
This registry file will not modify any other software or Windows settings.

GlennD
    2 years ago

Hi

We are aware that after our recent maintenance, some customers may still be having trouble connecting to a remote machine or the remote machine is showing as unavailable. To resolve this issue please follow the steps listed in the below article:

My host computer is offline or unavailable

1. Reboot your host computer.
      Note: If you are not physically by your host computer, you will need to find someone who can reboot it for you.
    2. On your client computer, check if the host computer you're trying to access is back online.
      Troubleshooting: It the host computer is still offline, please reinstall GoToMyPC on your client computer.
    3. Check your computer's status again and try connecting.

My host computer is available but the connection is failing

1. Log in to your account at https://www.gotomypc.com/members/login.tmpl.
    2. On the My Computers page, find your host computer and select Restart Computer.
    3. Wait a few minutes for the computer to restart.
    4. Try connecting again.

MD_Chi
    New Contributor

Why does this happen seemingly on a weekly basis?  Rebooting 45 machines and/or having to reinstall the client is not an acceptable common behavior.  Every time you all run maintenance we have to put out fires.

Dsmith44
      New Contributor

Exactly. Every week it seems like I have to reboot or uninstall and reinstall. 

I got to the point where I am migrating everyone off and moving them to RemotePC..... its a bit slower but it connects every single time. 

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the GoToMyPC experience, we migrated our on-prem infrastructure to a high-performing cloud-based environment in January. Over the subsequent months, we have continued to fine-tune system performance in the cloud environment.  

Since Monday, we’ve seen an increase in reports of connectivity issues. This impacts a small subset of our customer base. Our engineers adjusted the configuration of the system to address these issues, and we are closely monitoring the system performance to address any subsequent potential issues. Please refer to the status page for the latest. 

At GoTo, we take our commitment to providing reliable and secure remote access seriously, and we appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve these issues. 

researmg
    New Contributor

This isn't resolved.   Phone was blowing up this morning and came into work today with 34 users unable to connect.  We are on the most current GoTo client version.   Many machines did get the latest 2/14/23 Windows updates installed.  I can't say every machine that had this issue had the Windows updates installed. 

In the end, it seemed the only fix was to wait for the client to finally give up trying to connect to your servers.   Then a reboot would work maybe 75% of the time.  If it didn't, had to wait the 10 minutes again and then had to stop and start the GoTo service.    Again, we are all running the latest version of your software client and the only changes that happened over night was the monthly install of Windows updates.  All systems had the latest .Net update (KB5022729) and about 80%  had the latest update for Win10 22H2 (KB5022729) applied.  The deadline set on the my Windows Update Server is tonight for that one.

I am a one man I.T. department and I can't keep dealing with the constant drama of this software. 

J.1
    Contributor

After getting bad gateway errors and at least one instance of what should have been My Computers giving me a URL involving 'dummyhost' and 'expertcity.com I am now seeing the majority of my company's machines listed as Unavailable. Including at least eight machines that have ACTIVE USER CONNECTIONS LISTED.

I cannot tell my users who are having slow or intermittent connections to restart the service or the computer using the Goto page if all of our machines start showing up as unavailable! What is going on?

Pat211
    New Contributor

None of the users can log into GTMPC.  Any ideas?

J.1
      Contributor

I can't even get to the login page. 'Service currently unavailable, we are working now to resolve the issue, we apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing and we appreciate your patience', and then it bounces me back to the landing page.

J.1
    Contributor

users trying to log into Gotomypc get stuck on the 2-step verification page. Even after approving the login request on our phones Gotomypc will sit on the 'please approve the login request sent to your phone' screen. Some users report that entering the one-time passcode from LastPass Authenticator app gets them to a list of available PCs, but then clicking on a PC boots them back to the login screen. At least one user has tried to get 'text/sms passcode on phone' to work and received a 'failed to send PassCode via SMS' message. One user got past 2fa but upon trying to access her computer she was left at a black screen rather than the Windows logon.

At least six of our users experienced problems this morning where logging into Gotomypc got them booted out of their computers, followed by GTMPC resetting, followed by eventually allowing them in. I do not know if this is related to the sudden onset of two-factor issues.

I have not phoned Goto about this yet because trying to find someone who will actually speak to me about tech support is all but impossible. 

EDIT: gotomypc.com/members/MyComputers is now giving me a 502 Bad Gateway error, THAT'S reassuring

Dsmith44
    New Contributor

How about fixing your software. Nothing but issues for the last 6 months. At this point Chrome Remote desktop is proven to be better. 

GlennD
      GoTo Manager

Hi

We are aware that after our recent maintenance, some customers may still be having trouble connecting to a remote machine or the remote machine is showing as unavailable. To resolve this issue please follow the steps listed in the below article:

My host computer is offline or unavailable

1. Reboot your host computer.
        Note: If you are not physically by your host computer, you will need to find someone who can reboot it for you.
      2. On your client computer, check if the host computer you're trying to access is back online.
        Troubleshooting: It the host computer is still offline, please reinstall GoToMyPC on your client computer.
      3. Check your computer's status again and try connecting.

My host computer is available but the connection is failing

1. Log in to your account at https://www.gotomypc.com/members/login.tmpl.
      2. On the My Computers page, find your host computer and select Restart Computer.
      3. Wait a few minutes for the computer to restart.
      4. Try connecting again.

• Its not working. Got anything else for the stupid mistakes the GoToMyPC engineers make ?

Jinedin
      Active Contributor

Can configuration just be changed not to pull down the faulty 216 address? This would fix it for our host PCs. 

Jinedin
    Active Contributor

We have been supplied this fix in relation to this weekend's outage. 

However while running the reg file temporarily fixes connection issues, minutes later the host PCs are failing to connect again (the added registry entry is still there). 

Tested with over 20 host PCs, is there still some outage? 

arifali
        GoTo Contributor

Thank you for your patience. 
        Could you please try to ping "poll.gotomypc.com" and post here what does it show? 
        The ping won't work but at least, we will know which IP address it is referring to.  

AdminLife
    Active Contributor

There are 2 PollServerIPs . One works and one doesn't. I regedit to the one that works and then it gets changed back to the one that doesn't. Can the folks at GoToMyPC at least get it to stop breaking the fix while they do an actual fix? Please be better.

AdminLife
        Active Contributor

Here's what I see:

1. I change the PollServerIPs value to the 23.239.***.*** IP

2. I restart GTMPC

3. GTMPC connects okay and the host is available to connect

4. After 60 seconds g2start.exe automatically runs and re-starts GTMPC

5. The PollServerIPs value gets reverted back to 216.115.***.***,23.239.***.***

6. The GTMPC notification tray icon changes to Initializing, then to Disconnected from Internet

J.1
    Contributor

First of all, I know there was Goto maintenance last night.

One of my users tried to log onto GTMPC this morning around 8:20 Eastern and could not. He found the notice from 13:50 UTC that GTMPC was investigating the outage, but now we are seeing that more of our machines are showing up as unavailable, and that several of our users see machines listed as available but cannot get past 'that endless green line of death'.

Since the phone support line does not seem to be able to answer our calls right now I would like to know what is going on, especially since your status page claims everything is now okay.

J.1
      Contributor

Goto seems to have made all our  machines come online again last night but given that half my users get timeouts from Gotomypc when they try to log in, even after GTMPC service restarts, I'm not impressed.

awphillips
      Active Contributor

We still cannot login. Same symptoms except the ones we try installing new or reinstalling show up as unconfigured now when logging into the website as a normal user.

awphillips
      Active Contributor

Tried everything on multiple computers. What is really irritating is that we aren't getting any communications from GoTo. The last update is timestamped over 3 hours ago.