Forum Discussion

JHippler
Active Contributor
4 years ago

GTT .ics calendar files will not open

Our training team has been receiving customer attendee feed and personally experiencing a situation where "Add to Calendar" .ics files will sometimes not open and cannot be saved to their MS Outlook calendars. Our organizers are scheduling these directly from the GTT website (not using the MS Outlook plug-in) and using the latest Chrome, IE and Edge browsers. All are using the desktop version of MS Office 365.  Additionally, this appear to happen randomly (some GTT events are not having this issues whereas others are). Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions to resolve?

GlennD
    4 years ago

Thank you, this is an issue we have seen with Outlook and GoToWebinar as well in the past. Outlook does not like irregularly scheduled events, so far the only work around for this issue is to manually import the calendar event into Outlook.

GlennD
    GoTo Manager

Hi JHippler 

Can you please provide some more details about what happens when they try to open the .ics file and add the event to their calendars, do they see any kind of error message? Also, do the affected trainings have anything in common? Are they one off events or series?

JHippler
      Active Contributor

When downloading a GoToTraining .ics file to my laptop, the file does not open when I attempt to add it to my Outlook calendar. I've tried double-clicking the file and using the "Open With" menu option and nothing happens.

This only occurs with recurring GTT events. One-time GTT events open fine and as expected.

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

Hi JHippler 

With these events, how are they scheduled? Weekly, monthly or some custom schedule? In Outlook if you open your calendar and import the ics calendar file does it still give the error?