Forum Discussion

julieswork
Active Contributor
3 years ago

Problems with bulk upload of registrants

I am having problems uploading a list of bulk registrants. I used the template from GoToWebinar, saved the file as a .csv and have tried uploading it 3 times. Each time it appears to go through, but then I receive an email message telling me there was a problem with the bulk registration.

My company's email is tomorrow and I need to have these 1,000+ names added. The file is only 65 kb so I don't think it's too big.

Working in Chrome, btw.

julieswork
    3 years ago

Yes, that's what I used.  Apparently the problem was the accent marks in the names -- even dashes and periods in names.  I had to open my spreadsheet in Notepad, then save it as a an UTF-8 file, then open it again in Excel then save as a .csv. 

markusedit
    Active Contributor

Hi,

Can you please check it:

- if there only 3 columns the first is: First Name, Last Name, Email address

- there are no special characters like: /; _

- the file format is csc (coma separated UTF8)

julieswork
        Active Contributor

Yes, that's what I used.  Apparently the problem was the accent marks in the names -- even dashes and periods in names.  I had to open my spreadsheet in Notepad, then save it as a an UTF-8 file, then open it again in Excel then save as a .csv. 

AshC
    Retired GoTo Contributor

julieswork  If the errors persist Customer Support can help manually uploading the registrants to the scheduled webinar.  Just make sure the registration settings only require First, Last Name and Email address. 

aos

I would like Customer Support to help me manually upload all the registrants to my own scheduled webinar. I am not seeing the bulk registration button in the About Section of My upcoming webinar edit page. Why is that? I need to upload registrants from the Google Sheets page which I have downloaded as my CSV file, before the webinar day and time. Kindly help out! Thanks. 

I want to upload my upcoming webinar attendees lists on  "Form Responses 2" and "Feedback" from this Google sheets; xxxxx to my Canada Immigration webinar coming up on Saturday. I would appreciate you help out with it.

KateG
        GoTo Moderator

aos welcome to the Community! I see that someone from support has reached out to you. Currently this feature is not available during the free trial period. 

julieswork
    Active Contributor

Unfortunately this solution isn't working for me again today.  I just sent back a ticket because this is halting productivity for me.

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

julieswork  OK, please let us know if your issue remains unresolved. 

jdemaria

It's 2022.  Please make improvements to this bulk import process.  Like the original poster, I have 1000+ contacts that I'm trying to bulk register and I can't.  There is no detail on the records that have errors.  Why not just copy paste?  There is a hundred ways to do this, the the simple solution GTW developed is half baked. 

• Adding to this thread for similar problems I had. This feature needs product enhancement, better documentation, and better training of support personnel.

I did a large file upload for event registrants (like the original poster). It displayed the banner saying that the file was accepted and that an email would be sent when complete. Then nothing. No registrants added, no email, no indication of how long to wait before deciding something went wrong.  I contacted support and spoke to a rep on the phone. Then I went back and did more explicit tests. Here are the results and indications of problem areas:

1) If something goes wrong with the upload, there is no indication to the admin. An email should be sent stating that the upload failed (ideally with the first bad record indicated to help troubleshoot the problem).

2) The support page for this topic (https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/how-do-i-add-registrants-in-bulk) says you can't have single initials in the First Name or Last Name fields. On testing, these worked fine.

3) My support person stated explicitly, and repeated when asked to confirm, that ONLY the 26 characters of the English alphabet are permitted. No spaces, no hyphens, no periods. On testing, all of these worked fine and were accepted. Give support a better list of permitted/forbidden characters.

4) What fails (and this is properly documented, so it's not a bug) are non-English characters such as accented vowels, Spanish n with a tilde, etc. This is an area that should be enhanced in future product releases, as American English names are not the only ones attending webinars. If the name fields on a registration page can accept the characters when typed in, they should also work for bulk upload.