cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trustpts
New Contributor

Converting from v4 vs v5 vs GoToResolve

I am a long time user of GoToAssist v4 and have not complaints.  Back when v5 was released, I was told that if I switched to v5, none of the Unattended saved passwords would carry over to v5 and I would have to re-enter the passwords one by one on each client computer.  I have roughly 100 computers with saved password so I decided to stick with v4.  I see there is newer version GoToResolve but dont know much about it.  Is GoToResolve replacing v5?  Does v5 and GoToResolve bring over the saved passwords from v4?

3 REPLIES 3
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Converting from v4 vs v5 vs GoToResolve

Hi @trustpts, welcome to the community.

That was true at the beginning with v5, but in early 2021 there was an update so that stored credentials would be available when you connect to a v4 Unattended computer from v5. I appreciate it is a little confusing right now so I will try to answer the most common questions:

• Customers can continue to use GTA v4  or v5 as you have been for the foreseeable future 
  • GTA customers can switch back and forth between v4 and v5 in their account on the website at any time so you can use either to support your customers
  • GTA v4 and v5 have their own Unattended Support installs, both can be installed on the same computer at the same time
  • GTA v5 can access both v4 and v5 Unattended computers from the v5 Console or Desktop Console. Stored credentials on v4 Unattended computers will also work when connecting from v5
  • GoTo Resolve uses some of the v5 code and technology but it is currently a separate product for GTA v4 and v5. It cannot connect to v4 or v5 Unattended computers.
  • GoTo Resolve is being developed to incorporate all of the best features of our remote support products along with improvements and feature requests. We plan to develop a migration method so that in the future GTA customers will be able to migrate to GoTo Resolve and move their inventory of Unattended computers over as well, avoiding the need to set them up again.

For now, my recommendation would be to sign into your account on the website and switch over to v5 and try it out with some test sessions. You can run it in your web browser or download the desktop console.

GlennD_0-1659656293891.png

Here are a few support articles to get you started:

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
trustpts
New Contributor

Glenn, thanks for the great information.  I took your advance and switched over to v5 and downloaded the desktop console.  Seems to be running smoothly.  I do have two questions. 

1) Do I eventually need to install the v5 Unattended Installer.  Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

2) I've noticed, while testing, that the saved credentials "Log In" link disappears after a few seconds of connecting.  I have to disconnect the session then reconnect.  Is there a way to bring up that link without having to disconnect/reconnect?

GlennD
GoTo Manager

There is no need to install v5 Unattended since you can access your v4 Unattended from the v5 Console. The only advantage would be that it could serve as a backup option in case v4 stopped working for some reason. For the stored credentials, there isn't an option to trigger them again currently, but if the Windows login screen also times out I have seen the option to use the stored credentials show up again.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training