cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James51

Black Screen for Customers on Latest Version of GoToAssist

I've been looking around for a fix for this and had been coming up short. Currently I'm working on a new install. GoToAssist worked fine for a while, but now that I have the unit set up in a different environment it doesn't want to work.

The units run Windows 7 Pro, and they do not have a display connected to them currently. It worked with a display connected, but that would become an issue as these units are for remote purposes and won't have monitors attached to them. We have other remote units that work under this environment, but every new one we set up has had this black screen issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Black Screen for Customers on Latest Version of GoToAssist

James,
I'm suspecting either the display driver isn't activating, or somehow this device is not sending any info to the display while remotely connected.  It's kind of hard to say if we still can't see what's going on in the background due to the black screen.

If you want to give us a call, we can create a simultaneous connection to this machine, and then have you remotely access the Unattended install, where we will see how the PC reacts through the separate G2A feed.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
James51

Update:

So I retested one of my units that had black screened by plugging the monitor in and it worked. Is this a known issue with GoToAssist? Does the software require a monitor to be connected on new installs? I'm also wondering if it's an issue with the PC itself.
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi James,
Sorry for the difficulty there.
Do you know if there is still a display adapter set up on the problem machine?

James51

When the black screen issue was occurring, there was no display adapter connected to the problem machine at all. When I reconnected it to a display it was beginning to work.

Would just having the cable/adapter (no monitor) connected have the same effect?
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

If you disconnect the monitor, then GoToAssist should use the Safe Mode display version.

James51

How do I make sure this is the case. Currently all I get is a black screen. I can make blind inputs but I can't really see what I'm doing. I already went to the services page and made sure to select "Allow service to interact with Desktop", but the black screen still happens with no monitor connected.
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

All it should need is to plug in (the display adapter).  This works for Windows whenever we've tested it previously.

James51

I attached a display adapter, not connected to a monitor as this is still a remote unit, and I still have a black screen. I've had no trouble with other units that have no form of monitor cable / adapter attached working fine. This has been an issue with new installs of GoToAssist on these units, and only after disconnecting them from the monitor. Does GoToAssist now require new installs to have monitors attached? Is there a setting that I can change to make this work?

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi James,
Are you certain this server is running in console mode?  Otherwise, without some kind of RDP conflict, the Remote Support connection should be showing the actual desktop.

Another test is to see if you have the reboot command when remotely connected through GoToAssist.

James51

The unit I'm using is a micro Windows 7 pc, so there should be no problem. I can connect to this unit and see things just fine when a monitor is connected. Remote Desktop works, and I can also interact with the desktop but I can't see what I'm doing.

We tried upgrading to the newest version of GoToAssist to be sure it wasn't a bug on the version we are on and that did not fix the issue.